9 Ed Sheeran Lyrics That Will Make You Emotional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The fun part about music is that, if it’s good, it can make you feel a range of different emotions. Speaking from the perspective of a long term fan of his music and his face, Ed Sheeran is a pro at doing just that. Some of his music just makes you want to groove on a tropical island somewhere, and then some songs, can make your heart break in just two minutes.   

His new album, Divide, is exceptionally emotion evoking.  If you are like me, you’ve had it playing on repeat since it came out a few weeks ago and ever since then, you’ve been on an emotional roller coaster. Here are a few of the lyrics that will make you feel some type of way.

“Every night I’ll kiss you, you’ll say in my ear ‘Oh, we’re in love, aren’t we?’” -Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

• Wow. This kind of cuteness is something every girl strives to have at some point, no matter what kind of “I’m not looking for a boyfriend” bs she gives you. But, the beauty of this song is that it does a great job capturing the essence of being in love with someone and comfortable with that person.  Find someone you can feel this safe around; safe with your body and safe with your heart.

“Over sixty years I’ve been loving her. Now we’re sat by the fire in our old armchairs. You know Nancy, I adore ya.” -Nancy Mulligan

• Nancy, you are a lucky girl.  This song is about Ed’s grandparents’ love story and it’s so sweet, it could even melt my cold, dark heart.

“All I know is I got a cab and then threw up on his car seat. He kicked me out and then I walked in the rain. I tell myself in every way, ‘I won’t be doing this again’ and tomorrow’s a brand new day.” -Bibia Be Ye Ye

• In this song, Ed Sheeran is singing in Twi, a language originating from Africa. “Bibia be ye ye” directly translates to “all will be well” and “wo nooma” means that all things in life will get better. You may mess up really bad, but it’s never too late to make a change. Thanks, Ed.

“Cause baby you look happier, you do. My friends told me one day I’ll feel it, too. And until then I’ll smile to hide the truth. But I know I was happier with you.” -Happier

• Just hit me right in my feels, Ed.  It’s f i n e. This song will never fail to break my heart.  It makes me think of the person I love, loving someone else, and if that doesn’t just plummet you straight into an emotional downward spiral, I don’t know what will.

“I walked her home, then she took me inside, finished some Doritos and another bottle of wine. I swear I’m going to put you in a song that I write about a Galway girl and a perfect night.” -Galway Girl

• I want Ed to write a song about me.  I want a bottle of wine. I want doritos! Excuse me while I retreat into my sad little blanket burrito.

“Baby, I’m dancing in the dark with you between my arms, barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song. When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath, but you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight.” -Perfect

• I understand why this song is titled that way.  It’s because that is literally perfect.  Ed, you old romantic, you got me again.

“So don’t call me baby unless you mean it. Don’t tell me you need me if you don’t believe it.” -Dive

• It takes a lot to put yourself out there.  In this song, Ed expresses how fragile people are when they are falling in love.  Such a delicate process, giving your whole self to someone and hoping they feel the same. Just give it to me straight. If I’m going to keep my heart on my sleeve, you better not toy with it, boy!

“Oh I’m in pieces, it’s tearing me up, but I know a heart that’s broke is a heart that’s been loved.” -SuperMarket Flowers

• This song is from the point of view of Ed’s mother on his late grandmother.  Losing someone can be the worst feeling but life moves in a constant cycle of good coming from bad so hang in there.

“I’m on my way, driving at 90 down those country lanes, singing to ‘Tiny Dancer.’ And I miss the way you make me feel and it’s real.” -Castle on the hill

• What is he talking about? His home? A girl? Doesn’t matter, we all have that thing that makes us feel this kind of way.  Roll the windows down because I’m feeling like I could conquer the world now.

I hope I could help you become more in tune with your emotional side, like you needed it.  Blame Ed.  My man gets down.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Jess is in her third year at UCF. She is an Advertising and Public Relations major who absolutely loves to write. Jess also tutors on campus at the Writing Center. When she is not writing, working or studying, you can find Jess at the pool, since she loves to swim and play water polo. Jess is super energetic and friendly, so if you see her on campus be sure to say hi! Go Knights!
UCF Contributor