This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The aftermath of Thanksgiving happens to be finals week, which is truly tragic. If you’re like me, the last thing you want to do after days of laying on the couch and eating leftovers is studying, but we have to get through! As a junior in college, I’ve experienced quite a few finals and found the things that help me. It’s constant trial and error, but once you find a system that works for you, it makes it easier to get through the week. So, here are some tips that might help you!

prep

It might be a form of procrastination or not, but, personally, I find it hard to concentrate when my environment is a mess. The first thing I like to do is clean and organize my room so I can study peacefully. Secondly, I like to get any errands out of the way, like groceries, and be prepared for the week to come. It might seem small and silly, but it brings peace of mind knowing you have these things out of the way, and you won’t have to worry about them later on.

find study spots

Although being in your PJ’s at home can get comfy, it’s helpful to separate your workspace from your personal space, both physically and mentally. It can get tedious working in the same spot, so try and find an alternative location to study where you feel comfortable and you can concentrate. Whether it’s a coffee shop or the library, find a spot that you like.

fuel your body

Hate to break it to you, but coffee and energy drinks aren’t enough to keep you going. As much as I love coffee, I know it’s not the healthiest choice — and I’m not at my best without food. It’s so important to stay hydrated and eat some food! When you’re caught up in studying, it’s easy to forget, but you’ll feel so much better and energized getting some food and water into your system.

stay organized

As repetitive as it might sound, staying organized helps a lot in the long run. You don’t have to create this extreme minute-by-minute plan either. Just writing down a list of everything you need to get done is helpful and less overwhelming. This way, you can have a better perspective and plan the week ahead.

make a playlist

This one is a fun one! If you’re going to be studying for hours, at least make it somewhat enjoyable. Make a playlist with your favorite songs to play as background noise. Some of my personal favorites are Lo-fi music and Study like Rory Gilmore on Spotify. Making a playlist is something to look forward to and keeps you going.

unwind

No matter how busy it might get, always take time to unwind. This includes sleeping, too. You’re not going to be able to think clearly or function well without sleep. Whether it’s taking a nap, watching a show, taking a long shower or talking to a friend, do something aside from studying that genuinely relaxes you and you enjoy.

At the end of the day, you have to figure out what works best for you, but I hope these help in some way. Remember to eat, stay hydrated and get some rest. Although school is important, your health always comes first, and I’m proud of you all regardless. Good luck, you got this!

Alexandra is a senior at the University of Central Florida, originally from Miami, Florida. She is majoring in Graphic Design and loves photography. When she's not at the beach, you can find her cooking, reading or binging New Girl.