8 Solutions to Those Unavoidable Halloween Mishaps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Halloween is all about having fun, the costumes, and the parties. But when plans start crumbling, friends start flaking, and everything starts going wrong, it’s hard to remain calm and still have fun. So here are some suggestions for when things go off script:

1. YouTube makeup tutorial fail.

You overestimated your artistic skills and your makeup looks nothing like the girl in the video. Your left eye makeup is just a disaster as always. What made you think you could create symmetrical designs?  Just smear on some extra liner to make dark, sunken eyes, and smudge your lipstick to create a zombie look. See, makeup disaster solved. Now, who looks like they don’t know what they’re doing?

2. Not feeling confident enough for a sexy costume

Whether you forgot to work on your “Halloween body,” or you’re just not feeling confident enough to play up the assets, don’t let that ruin your night. Go as Solange from the ‘Cranes in the Sky’ video.You’ll be cozy, comfortable and you’d only have to worry about your hair and makeup. A wavy blowout, defined brows and a big, pink, plushy blanket to wrap around you. It’s genius. Now you can spend the evening safely cocooned in microfiber instead of tight leather or some uncomfortable short dress.

3. Newly single, so the couple costume is a no go.

No worries. You’ve gotten out of worse jams than this and lived to tell the tale. True, it would have been so awesome to be the Walter White to his Jesse Pinkman or the Morticia to his Gomez. True, you were super excited, but things happen. You might feel halved but you are whole, woman. Whether you show up solo as Walter White or Morticia, you will definitely still slay with or without what’s-his-name.

4. Last minute costume.

You are running around the room frantic. Digging through your closet to see if you can somehow put a twist on last year’s costume. But that is obviously a terrible idea. Pokemon Go player! BOOM! You’re already covered in sweat like you have been walking around in the sun all afternoon looking for imaginary creatures. Sweaty? Check. Unbreathable, layers of fabric? Check. Now you have an excuse to be glued to your phone all night. Maybe even catch some Pokemon. 

5. Your unique idea turns out to be impractical.

You decided to go as the DNC balloons that captivated former president Bill Clinton and ultimately, the whole world. What could be more magical? But how will you sit down? Show off your dance moves? In theory, it’s brilliant, but now you have to figure something out. Maybe lose some of those balloons or figure out a different way to represent that magical moment. That is why you have to test out your costumes ahead of time, people. 

6. Someone drops out of the group costume plan.

Group costumes can be super fun, but try not to panic at the thought of braving it on your own. Yes, it’s comforting and it ensures you’ll have your girls close by all night. But you can still have a good time as a solo piece of sashimi. Use this as an opportunity to stand out on your own and have new experiences.

7. When your costume is a very popular choice.

Great minds think alike. So don’t feel discouraged from going ahead with a popular character like Harley Quinn or Wonder Woman. Put your own spin on it. Have fun! There are so many different depictions to choose from or just make up one of your own. 

8. Feeling torn between picking a pro-feminist costume, but not wanting your costume to be a downer or misunderstood.

RBG, Rosie the Riveter, Frida Kahlo aren’t the only costumes a respectable feminist is “allowed” to wear. Yes, those women are true “sheroes” but don’t feel limited to the usual popular feminist picks. Feminism is about freedom. It’s about women expressing themselves as they see fit. Not being forced to follow someone else’s idea of womanhood. So don’t box in your pro-female statements either. It’s all about celebrating woman. If heavy makeup and leather is not your cup of tea, but you also don’t want to rock a unibrow as Frida, get creative and try something clever that makes you feel proud and confident as a woman.

Planning is good, but always be mentally prepared for things not going exactly according to plan. Surprises happen. That is life. But, you have to remember to just relax and use your creativity to adapt to these types of situations. Often, those annoying, random mishaps create opportunities to discover new territory in our imaginations. It can be a fun when we confidently embrace it. Try to remember that this weekend and just enjoy yourself!

Photo credit: Image1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7, Image 8, Image 9, Image 10

Shanelle is pursing an Interdisciplinary degree at UCF with concentrations in Biomedical Sciences and Health Sciences, accompanied by a minor in Magazine Journalism. She has a great love for literature, music and nature, and in her free time she enjoys baking, cooking, painting, knitting, basically creating anything with her hands. But her desire to create and explore is often overcomed by her need for hot tea, naps and Netflix marathons. 
UCF Contributor