This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Sometimes we all need a break from reality. Travel back to the past with these iconic albums that will have you dancing, crying, and everything in between. Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order!

Fleetwood Mac, ‘Rumours’ (1977)

Fleetwood Mac’s eleventh studio album, which features hits like “Dreams,” “The Chain,” and “Go Your Own Way,” is an iconic and dramatic ode to the trials and tribulations of love.

Little Richard, ‘Here’s Little Richard’ (1957)

Little Richard’s debut and highest-charting album is a defining part of the birth of rock and roll, with songs like “Tutti Frutti” and “Long Tall Sally” that are guaranteed to have you on your feet.

Bruce Springsteen, ‘Born to Run’ (1975)

If I had to choose, this is probably my favorite album. As a Jersey Shore native, I’m definitely a little biased, but this story that Bruce paints so eloquently — in only eight songs — about coming of age and chasing the American dream is beautifully nostalgic and emotional as hell. There aren’t words to convey how much I love this album. If you’re going to listen to anything from this list, it should be this.

Joni Mitchell, ‘Blue’ (1971)

Mitchell’s legendary folk album about journeying outward and longing for home is romantic, poetic and intimate. It features “California” and many other gorgeous songs.

The Beatles, ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ (1967)

This Beatles album is regarded by many as one of the most important and influential in rock and roll history, and includes iconic tunes such as the title track and “A Day in the Life.”

Queen, ‘A Night at the Opera’ (1975)

Queen’s inventive fourth album includes Freddie Mercury’s masterpiece, “Bohemian Rhapsody,” and other hits such as “Love of My Life” and “You’re My Best Friend.”

Carole King, ‘Tapestry’ (1971)

King’s Tapestry is one of the best selling albums of all time, and it beautifully conveys the realities of life and love, featuring “I Feel The Earth Move” and “You’ve Got a Friend.”

Led Zeppelin, ‘Led Zeppelin IV’ (1971)

All eight songs on this album are huge, especially “Stairway to Heaven,” and are often regarded as essential in the evolution of hard rock. 

Happy listening!

Jordan Sammarco is a Biomedical Sciences major at the University of Central Florida, and is originally from the Jersey Shore. (Yes, like the TV show.) She is a vegetarian and passionate environmentalist/animal lover. Jordan spends her time listening to dad rock, obnoxiously laughing, and over-caffeinating herself.
UCF Contributor