7 Witchy Songs for the Supreme Halloween Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every year, I put my heart and soul into creating the perfect spooky playlist for Halloween. It’s usually a combination of classics like “The Time Warp,” “Thriller” and all the other usual holiday hits. And don’t get me wrong — I love those songs. But this year, I decided to mix it up and theme my Halloween playlist to all things witchy!

If you’re looking to spice up your spooky music taste, you’ve come to the right place! (I mean, you can only listen to “The Monster Mash” so many times.)

“Rhiannon” – Fleetwood Mac

She is like a cat in the dark, and then she is the darkness

...because I would be crazy to start this article off with any other song. Besides the fact that it was basically written about a witch, “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac is sung by mystical queen Stevie Nicks. Get your healing crystals ready and rev up your astral projection powers, ladies!

“Dancing in the Moonlight” – Toploader

It’s a supernatural delight, everybody’s dancin’ in the moonlight

I was torn between whether I should include this version of “Dancing in the Moonlight” or the original by King Harvest, but they’re similar enough. Doesn’t this song make you want to grab your warlock boyfriend—Nicholas Scratch, I mean you—and hit the dance floor? Or maybe I’ve just been binge-watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina too much. 

“Turn Off The Light” – Kim Petras feat. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

Howl at the moon to awaken the spell

The title track from Kim Petras’ Halloween-themed album is perfect for all your witchy rave needs. Plus, it features the Mistress of the Dark herself—what’s not to love? (For an added spooky bonus, listen to the rest of the album! There’s not a bad song, I promise.)

“Season of the Witch” – Lana Del Rey

You got to pick up every stitch, must be the season of the witch

Like Stevie Nicks, Lana Del Rey just has something inherently mystical about her. The fact that she covered this song for the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark soundtrack is almost too convenient. The original version by Donovan is great too!

“I Put a Spell On You” – Nina Simone

I put a spell on you, because you’re mine

As good as the Hocus Pocus version is, nothing tops Nina Simone’s rendition of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ classic spooky hit. It’s also the only version that can make you feel like a spell is truly being cast on you. Press play and let the concoction begin!

“Maneater” – Hall & Oates

She’s deadly man, she could really rip your world apart

Fact: Hall & Oates created the ultimate tribute to a deadly woman with this song. With a music video that oozes spooky energy, this one is on my Halloween playlist every single year. Watch out boy, she’ll chew you up.

“Spooky” – Dusty Springfield

Just like a ghost, you’ve been a-hauntin’ my dreams

I’m ending this list with the spookiest song I can think of: “Spooky,” of course! Even though the version by the Classics IV directly references Halloween, I still think Dusty Springfield’s cover reigns supreme—but you can’t go wrong by listening to both!

Now that you have all the ingredients for the perfect playlist potion, you’re ready for your witchiest Halloween yet!

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!