7 Things That Happen When You Own A Jeep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I drive a Jeep.  A proud group of people, Jeep owners pride themselves on their personal choice in cars.  As part of that group I do as well. Although, all Jeeps encompassing, I love my Jeep Wrangler especially.  It’s so simple and easy to make repairs and improvements. I love that I can take the top, windows and doors off.  I really love everything about it.

I live with the doors and top off.  Because my car doesn’t have air conditioning, it’s much cooler to have the air flow that taking everything off allows. Plus, I like people to see I drive a manual.

Anyway, there are a few things that happen when you drive a Jeep with no top or doors that don’t happen in a normal car.

1. People feel the need to talk to you while driving. Just the other day, I was on the highway, minding my own business, when a car sped up and slowed down to match my speed. Curious, I looked over to see a man basically hanging out of the passenger side window.  He yelled over the wind “WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT RAINS?” We were going 60 on the highway, but I guess that was the perfect time to hold a conversation. “I JUST GET WET.”

2. Creepers hit on you.  When there is nothing between you and the car next to you except their windows, female jeep owners, especially, often find themselves in uncomfortable situations.  We deal with creepy smiles and catcalls on a daily basis. There is no buffer between you and the creepies in a windowless car.

3. Middle aged men feel the need to show you their approval. I cannot tell you how many times a middle aged man has thrown me the gnarly sign or the rock on sign. I get thumbs up all the time. I guess something about girls in Jeeps makes people want to show us their approval.

4. Everyone can hear you.  Like I said before, there is no buffer between you and the outside world.  Everyone can see what you’re doing and everyone can hear what you’re saying.  That means secret road rage won’t fly.  In a topless Jeep, you cannot insult a fellow driver in the safety and privacy of your own car without running the risk that that person, or anyone else for that matter, will hear you.  This also means you cannot sing along to the radio without serenading your fellow drivers, as well.

5. There is no such thing as a good hair day.  In a topless car, you have one of two options.  You can either grab a scrunchy and a baseball hat, or you could risk it all without the two.  Either way your hair ends up flat and rinked or knotted and wild. Pick your poison.

6. You wave to other Jeep owners. The Jeep wave is an acknowledgment Jeep Wranglers give to other Jeep Wranglers. Usually in the form of two fingers lifted from your grip at the top of the steering wheel and often referred to as a “Jeep thing.”  The Jeep wave is just another way to show pride in your choice of car.

7. Everyone wants you to drive. When you own such an awesome car, it’s no wonder all your friends prefer you drive.  Your cool quotient goes up when you ride in a Jeep (yes I’m biased).  I don’t mind because I love driving.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 

Jess is in her third year at UCF. She is an Advertising and Public Relations major who absolutely loves to write. Jess also tutors on campus at the Writing Center. When she is not writing, working or studying, you can find Jess at the pool, since she loves to swim and play water polo. Jess is super energetic and friendly, so if you see her on campus be sure to say hi! Go Knights!
UCF Contributor