7 Rules For Millennials to Rule 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The Millennial generation— the generation of DIYers, bloggers, thrifters, college students and young professionals— has grown up in a system of constant exposure and instant gratification. We live very open, public lives based around the Internet. We tweet, text, update, post and check-in—sharing it with the world in seconds.

The solution to this social media-induced epidemic is found within resolutions and rules that focus on the individual. Millennials need to live in the now, not on the Internet.

With future careers and internships just around the corner, today is the time to reassess how we’re living in the now.

Here are seven resolutions for Millennials to rule their future by ruling today.

Relax

In order to be at your best, you need to be happy and well rested. Once a week take time to relax. Read a book, watch your favorite show on Netflix or drink a cup of tea.

Connect

Networking with people via Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook is great; keep doing it! Solidify those relationships by taking them offline; once in a while invite someone you’d like to network with out for coffee and leave him or her with your business card.

Stop comparing yourself to others

The constant flood of information from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram can cause anxiety but ultimately it can be a distraction. The successes or failures of your peers are not your own, and therefore they are no reflection of your merit. There is no standard to which you should adhere.

Live your life instead of documenting it

Wouldn’t it be nice to see a concert through two eyes, instead of a screen? Let 2014 be the year you have fun for yourself. This isn’t a reality show. Forget the cameras, have fun for the sake of fun. You don’t need notifications.

Forget about FOMO

Scrolling through Facebook newsfeeds is a known cause of FOMO syndrome— some associated symptoms are emotional strain, severe anxiety and stress.

This year, turn off those social networks and focus on yourself. Be productive. Forget any fear of missing out and remember:
LFTM (Live For The Moment)
YAMYY (You’re A Millennial You Rule)

Be aware of your online presence

A Google search may be the only thing standing in the way between you and a future position. It’s time to clean up your online act. Before posting, ask yourself, “Would grandma be okay with reading that tweet/ seeing that photo?”

Today is all you have

“You’re only young once.” (We know, we know, thanks for the cliché). So if all we have is now, then we might as well enjoy it. 2014 will only last for eleven more months. Focus on things one at a time, days one at a time. Tomorrow will be there when you get there.