This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Eleven years after Marvel created the Marvel Cinematic Universe with “Iron Man” (2008)the company’s first female-fronted film has been released. “Captain Marvel” has burst on the scene with her photonpowered hands to have one of the biggest opening weekends for the company. Not even two weeks into its release, “Captain Marvel” has earned almost $800 million worldwide. It’s safe to say the world has been ready for Marvel to put badass females front and center of their films. In case you need more convincing though, here are the top seven reasons “Captain Marvel” is a must-see not just for Marvel fans but everyone!

1. Brie Larson Is a Superhero Warrior

Brie Larson kills it as Carol Danvers a.k.a Captain Marvel. Not only did she train for nine months for the role, but you can tell she is having the time of her life being a superhero (as we all would). You know how people say Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man? Well, Brie Larson IS Captain Marvel, and you cannot tell me anything different.

2. The 90s Throwback

While all Marvel films except “Captain America: The First Avenger” (2011) take place in present day, “Captain Marvel” is a prequel of sorts, taking place in the mid-90s. This leads to a film that basically feels like one big throwback for 90s kids. With shoutouts to the Blockbusters and Radio Shacks that were on every corner to the grunge style that was so popular, “Captain Marvel” has it all. The film also has a killer soundtrack filled with all the icons of the decade, including No Doubt, Nirvana and TLC.

3. Two-Eyed Nick Fury

Shield Agent Nick Fury, played by the always amazing Samuel L. Jackson, has been rounding up Avengers since the end credit scene of Iron Man. One of the most distinguishing qualities of Fury is the fact that he wears an eye patch over a damaged eye. Until this film, it was a mystery as to how our favorite Shield Agent lost his eye and while I will not spoil that moment, I will let you know it is what you would expect.

4. Healthy Female Friendship

Carol Danvers might be one of the most powerful superheroes in the galaxy, but when her best friend Maria Rambeau (played wonderfully by Lashana Lynch) is with her, all I see are two badass women who support and love each other. I honestly could have just had a whole movie of these ladies flying planes and being amazing.

5. No Romance

Carol doesn’t have a man or honestly need one to be the unstoppable force she is. It’s common for Marvel films to give the main hero a love interest, though it rarely adds anything to the plot. This story is so jam-packed with action that a romance would have just overstuffed it.

6. Goose

This list would not be complete without the breakout star, Goose the cat. This feline truly steals every scene she is in. Bonding immediately with Fury, there may be more to this loving cat than meets the eye.

7. Set-Up for Endgame

After ten years of build-up to “Avengers: Infinity War” that absolutely tore fans apart, Marvel also gave us a glimmer of hope from everyone’s new favorite superhero Captain Marvel. This mid-credit scene will leave you screaming out every emotion and make you even more excited for the final chapter of the “Avengers” that releases next month, “Avengers: Endgame.”

Marvel’s first female-fronted film is definitely a hit and rightfully so with all the greatness it packed into two hours. There is so much to love about this film including how you leave feeling like you can take on the galaxy. With the final chapter of the original Avengers team coming in a few weeks, the new line up has much to live up too. After seeing this film, I have no doubt that Captain Marvel will help lead the new team to victory. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  

Hannah is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida studying film and history. Her goal is to one day bring the worlds of film and television to life through design. She loves all things film, books, and Disney. When she is not escaping to far off worlds she is grabbing coffee and planning her next Disney trip. If you want to follow along on all her adventures you can follow her on Instagram @hannahkonfilm
UCF Contributor