7 Fun (& Safe) Activities at UCF To Help You Beat the ‘Rona Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s undeniable that COVID-19 has made it unsafe for large campus events to take place. However, there are still tons of things to do on campus that are both safe and fun to do without feeling worried you’ll get the ‘vid. Here’s a list of seven of the best safe activities to keep you busy and involved outside of your dorm or apartment.

UCF Late Knights

Late Knights UCF is an organization led by students, for students. They plan nighttime events like Glowcade, where students are invited to play mini-golf, ping pong, shuffleboard and even make their own custom masks! Not only are Late Knight events fun, but they also offer an escape from the blistering Florida sun. To see what events they’re hosting, check Knight Connect and make a reservation prior to attending.

Hammocking Around Campus

If you’re into relaxing alone time and fresh air, buy a hammock! The UCF Arboretum has planted palm trees with the specific intent of students hammocking in them. The most popular spot to do this is at Memory Mall, where many students flock to swing and study. A more private place to hammock can be found next to the Recreation and Wellness Center, where trees and bushes block your view of those walking by.

Recreation and Wellness Center

Speaking of the RWC, they’ve got tons of opportunities for you to get active. The Rec and Wellness Center’s main location features a cardio and weight floor and a lap pool, which can all be visited after making a reservation. Outdoor activities include a disc golf course and sunrise yoga, but to see all that the RWC offers, visit their website.

Volunteer UCF

This campus agency encourages students to give back to their community through volunteer work. During Pegasus Palooza, they hosted a mask-making event, donating masks to a local community center. They also hosted an event at the UCF Arboretum where students worked in the community garden, which donates much of its produce to the Knights Pantry. You can find events like these on Knight Connect or on their Instagram, @volunteerucf.

Knights & Damsels Dance Company

Maybe you’ve been dancing since birth, or maybe you want to try it out for the first time. Regardless, KDDC is an inexpensive way to dance at UCF! They offer in-person classes via reservation, and each class costs only $5. Classes take place at the Performing Arts Center, so get a friend and check out their Instagram (@knightsdamsels) to see class availability.

Dorm Lounges & Community Rooms

Most of UCF’s housing communities have a common room where you can watch TV, study, eat or talk with friends! These spaces are conveniently located and are a great place to meet people. In addition to community rooms, many dorms include a community kitchen, allowing you to make meals with your roommates, try out new recipes on your own, or cook for the first time! To find out if your housing community has a shared space, check out the Housing and Residence Life website.

Student Union Game Room

Last, but certainly not least: a game room! Complete with air hockey, foosball and pool tables, the game room is located on the third floor of the newly renovated Student Union. In addition to game tables, they have a 60-in-1 multi-arcade video game, featuring PAC Man, Donkey Kong and other 80s classics. Whether its a midday break from schoolwork or a latenight hang with friends, the game room is sure to please (just make sure to wash your hands!)

Edit: Unfortunately, the Game Room is not actually open. Instead, try the Student Union’s spaces to eat, study and chat with fellow students.

I’ve tried out many of these activities myself and I hope you all will too. To find out about these activities and more, check out the Office of Student Involvement, located in the Student Union, or go to their Instagram @ucf_osi. To see what’s open on campus, visit www.ucf.edu/coronavirus/whats-open-at-ucf/.

Maclane is a freshman studying Hospitality Management at the University of Central Florida. She is on the Theme Parks and Attractions Management Track, hoping to make an impact on the theme park industry in her future. Maclane loves watching movies, playing Sims 4 and Rollercoaster Tycoon, and of course, going to theme parks. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, she works as an Orientation Team Leader at UCF.
UCF Contributor