7 Deadly Sins of Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Whether you’re a non-believer, a saint, or on a way trip straight to the inferno Spring break can bring out the sinner in all of us. You all know the seven deadly sins- wrath, greed, sloth, pride, envy, lust, and gluttony. Well this Spring break you may find yourself committing more than one of these “deadly” sins.

When you have no school, no internships, no work (hopefully you all could get time off), and no vacation plans (unfortunately time off means less money to spend) it’s easy to spend the break being the laziest version of yourself. If you’re not soaking up the sun this break chances are you and Netflix are spending a lot of time in bed. Maybe you find yourself rolling out of bed about the same time the sun goes down, or only leaving the comfort of that perfect blanket cocoon you created to eat and go the bathroom, well then you my friend have committed the deadly Spring break sin of sloth.

If you do manage to get out of bed, parties are a huge part of Spring break. You could be reintroducing yourself to some old friends like Jack and Jim and the rest of their buddies. As most of us know these “friends” can be a bad influence; they can make you a little crazy. Sometimes even make you a crazy beeotch. And we all know crazy drunken beeotches can be lethal and if you get them mad? Well, hell hath no fury like a woman drunk and irritated. This sin isn’t as commonly committed as much as the rest of them but wrath can sneak up on the best of us this break. So watch out for those drunken nights.

Another big part of Spring break is the boys. Buff, shirtless, and beautiful boys can make you just as crazy as alcohol but in a good way! The best part is they’re everywhere. Guys are traveling around the world for Spring break sharing their attractiveness with the masses. It’s like a parade of eye candy. So whether you’re taken, looking for a spring fling, or just admiring from a far this is where the Spring break deadly sin lust comes into play. 

For those who worked their butts off (literally) and are showing off your perfect spring break bods, you may be committing the Spring break sin of pride. You worked hard for your body so you want to flaunt it a little. But please don’t go overboard. Now, I’m no hater of the perfectly toned, ok maybe I am a little, but there is no reason for you to be walking around half naked if you’re not on a beach. We get it, you’re in shape, now put a shirt on this is Publix not the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.

And for those of us who didn’t put in enough (or any) gym time we find ourselves envious of those who did; yet another sin.  Although we’ve all seen the inspirational pins on Pinterest that tell us that we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others, we can’t help but do it. We want a thigh gap like this girl and flat abs like that girl, and oh my god, even that guy has more luscious hair than us! We’re all beautiful in our own way, so just try to be tan this break not green with envy.

Speaking of the gym… Spring break is also a time for cheating your diet. How can you turn down mom’s home cooking? Or shy away from all that cruise food you already paid for? Stuffing your face with pizza because it goes perfectly with Netflix could be considered the Spring break deadly sin of gluttony. But if eating pizza is a sin then I don’t want to be a saint.

Spring break is going to bring a lot of fun and along with all that fun comes the need to post about it. Look forward to tanning selfies, new swimsuit selfies, beach selfies, cruise selfies, snorkeling selfies, and Netflix selfies. Vacations brings our generation’s desire for likes to a whole new level. Some may even say to a sinful level. Snapping, filtering, and posting might not be too bad but constantly checking if you’ve moved into the coveted triple digits is where you cross the line into greed- the last of the seven deadly sins of Spring break.

So no matter if you plan on living it up this break or conjoining yourself to your bed, enjoy your sinful ways and have fun. But most importantly be safe. To all you sinners out there, happy Spring break 2015!

Catherine is a senior at UCF majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. Catherine enjoys painting, singing along with the radio, and sipping on chai lattes. In her spare time you can find her doodling on her hands with Sharpies, and watching Quentin Tarantino films. She loves fashion, interior design, penquins, and over-the-knee socks. Follow her on Twitter- for random thoughts about Publix and life- and Instagram -for pictures of her roommate's cat and some great looking food: @catienicoled
UCF Contributor