Wellness

6 Ways to Live a More Sustainable Life as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Sustainability can help us to improve our health and save money, while also protecting our planet and reducing waste. Climate change, deforestation, acid rain, ozone deterioration and ocean dead zones are only some of the environmental impacts of unsustainable living. By living more sustainably, we can help our planet to thrive and create a safer environment for ourselves and for our ecosystem. 

Here are some tips on how you can be sustainable in your everyday life as a college student!

Take notes electronically and reuse paper.

Instead of using paper for note-taking, try taking your notes on your laptop or tablet. If you need a textbook for any of your classes, try using an online version. There are also tons of online study resources, such as flashcard apps like Quizlet and Anki. For any non-electronic material, try investing in eco-friendly options, like recycled notebooks. At the end of the semester, if you have a half-filled notebook, save it and use the empty pages next semester! 

Use reusable bags and bottles.

Reduce paper and plastic waste by switching to reusable materials. This includes reusable bags, bottles and straws. Reusable materials can help to conserve resources since plastic bags and bottles have a large environmental footprint. Plastic bags require a lot of energy to be made, and are often littered or not properly recycled. Using reusable materials can also help to protect wildlife since aquatic animals often mistake plastic for food and end up choking on it.

Recycle!

Whenever you do need to use paper or plastic, recycle it properly. Recycling can help reduce pollution, conserve materials and reduce waste. Waste is very bad for the environment since it contributes to air pollution, climate change and food contamination. Recycling can reduce waste, thus preserving rainforests, protecting the environment and helping the planet thrive.

Reduce meat consumption (or go vegan or vegetarian)!

Meat production is associated with a variety of environmental problems, including pollution, animal methane and waste. Livestock farming contributes to environmental degradation and loss of biodiversity. Additionally, meat-heavy diets increase the risks of certain health problems, such as cancer and obesity. Reducing or stopping meat consumption can contribute to a healthier body and a healthier planet. 

Support environmentally-friendly brands.

Eco-friendly brands are those whose products do not harm the environment. They include items that are sustainably manufactured, do not contain materials that are toxic to the environment, do not use excessive packaging, and may be made from renewable materials. Here is a list of environmentally-friendly brands. Feel free to do research to find out if your favorite brands are eco-friendly! 

Walk, bike, use public transit or carpool.

Car exhaust releases harmful gases like nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide, which are harmful to our health and to our planet. Car emissions contribute significantly to global warming and air pollution. This is why it is important to reduce the amount of time spent driving by instead opting to walk, bike, use public transit or carpool. 

By following these tips, you can help the planet to thrive, while creating a safe, healthy environment for future generations. Sustainability is super important, and we have a personal responsibility to be environmentally-conscious. The planet is our home and we should treat it with the respect and the care that it deserves.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Kindy graduated from the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences. She is currently pursuing a Master’s in Public Health. When she isn’t writing, studying, or doing research, you can find her reading, singing (off key), watching movies, or spending time in nature. She loves animals, yoga, Gilmore Girls, and dark chocolate.
UCF Contributor