6 Relaxing Activities That Don’t Involve Screens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It sometimes is difficult to remove yourself from the overwhelming world that we call the internet. Social media is everywhere and it can feel almost unacceptable to not remain a part of it at all times. However, we all have to remind ourselves to take time away from the screens that can seem to dominate our lives. There are a lot of things that we can do that don’t involve being online or constantly connected via the world wide web. 

Reading

Whenever I want to escape the reality I am currently in, reading a good book always instantly takes me to another place. The day flies by so fast when you are reading something you really enjoy — it’ll feel like you’ve discovered time travel. Trust me when I say that reading an actual, physical book is a completely different, far superior experience than reading a digital copy (I know I sound like I’m 85 years old, but I only speak the truth). 

Puzzles

I have always been a huge fan of doing puzzles, but lately, I’ve been challenging myself to do more difficult ones. It’s turned out to be so much fun! They will certainly keep you occupied for many, many hours. Some studies have shown that doing puzzles improves mental speed and thought processes, as well as short-term memory. They also increase the production of dopamine, so there’s a lot of reasons to give them a try!

Writing

As a writer, I am all too familiar with the very real struggle that is writer’s block. I find that when I write in a notebook on paper, I am far less likely to get side-tracked by notifications or other distractions than when I write on my computer. I also have realized that ideas come more naturally to me when I use a pencil rather than type. It’s fun to be creative, and writing by hand fully engages your brain as well as eases depression and anxiety by helping to materialize thoughts and feelings in written form. 

Take a Walk

Even just a short walk around your neighborhood lets your mind take in the outdoors and can lower your stress, as well as brighten your mood. You would be surprised what moving around for a short while can do for your body. You can release a lot of tension, both mentally and physically. Also, if you have a dog, take your furry friend with you! They would love it just as much.

Make Music

Whether you sing, play an instrument, or remember hot cross buns vaguely from a fifth-grade fever dream, it can be fun to experiment with creating sound! Pick up a new instrument, learn a new song, do something you have never done before! The musical world is yours, my friend. 

Coloring Books, Drawing, Painting 

I used to draw all the time when I was younger, and recently I got a new sketchbook and started picking it up again. It’s quite therapeutic since there is no pressure to be great, I can just create what I want to create. Another option is the coloring books everyone raves about, and for good reason. They are surprisingly soothing and can have really beautiful images. 

As you can see, there are a lot of options for things to do that aren’t on your phone or a tablet. I love technology just as much as anyone, but I’ll always appreciate the other things I do in my daily life, and I hope you can, too. 

Caroline Hull is a senior at the University of Central Florida and is double majoring in Theatre Studies and Creative Writing. She is pursuing her dreams of either being a successful playwright or an English teacher, and loves to spend her spare time cuddling with her dogs, Maya and Winston.
UCF Contributor