6 Podcasts to Keep You Politically Aware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

While there is much to say about the political course that the United States has taken in the last couple of years, one positive outcome that has come from it is increased engagement in the political process, particularly amongst the younger demographic.

However, the busy life of a millennial often does not leave one with much time to keep up with the fast-paced news cycle. In this situation, podcasts serve as the perfect on-the-go news outlet.

1. The Daily 

Perfect for the casual news follower who just wants to stay up to date with what’s relevant. The Daily chooses to focus the biggest news covering the headlines, rather than overwhelming listeners with several stories at once. This concisely-packed news source is perfect for those just transitioning into podcasts.

2. Civics 101

Does political terminology like “gerrymandering” or “filibustering” ever get lost on you? If so, you’re in luck! Civics 101 is perfect for political newbies. It serves as a great resource in explaining the roles that prominent laws and political institutions hold in our country. 

3. NPR Politics 

A podcast for the true news junkie, NPR Politics gives you a weekly dose of the news everyone’s talking about. With a panel of journalists serving as the hosts, you feel as if you’re in the newsroom yourself. They post once a week, giving their listeners a brief overview of current events. 

4. Pod Save the People

Although it may often feel we have heard every story, host DeRay Mckesson reminds us this is very much not the case. Through his platform, we are reminded of the stories that are often overlooked from mainstream media. Besides focusing on politics, the podcast occasionally touches on topics relating to pop culture and allows for celebrity guest appearances, such as singer John Legend and actress Regina King.

5. Pantsuit Politics

Despite being a part of opposite political spectrums, hosts Sarah Stewart Holland and Beth Silvershope hold refreshing bipartisan conversations. They serve as an example that political conversations don’t need to end in a screaming match. It’s a great source for those who like to hear from both sides of the aisle.

6. Worldly

Worldly provides an outlet for people to consume their news on a more international scale. Common topics of conversation include discussions on world leaders, ongoing wars as well as general trends in geopolitics. 

Ignorance isn’t bliss. Nor is it an acceptable option.. Now more than ever it is easier to become better informed about the political happenings of the world around you. In light of the current political climate it is important as citizens that  make it a priority to remain knowledgeable about issues that will impact both you, your family and your community.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Melanie is currently a Junior majoring in Journalism with a minor in Anthropology of Global Health at the University of Central Florida. Her professional aspirations include being a video journalist as well as publishing a novel. During her spare time she enjoys reading as well and binge watching shows on Netflix.
UCF Contributor