This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Christmas is right around the corner. I know, 2020 has felt like both a lifetime and a millisecond. Right now, you’re probably scrambling to put together a few last-minute gifts — the malls are crowded and it’s too late to order anything online. 

The solution is simple. Give your friends and family something sweet, cheap and made with love! Here are six tried-and-true recipes to get you into the holiday spirit!

Christmas Sugar Cookies

Recipe found here.

Sugar cookies are a classic. Make sure to use festive-shaped cookie cutters — you can find them almost anywhere this time of year. Royal icing is necessary for decorating purposes; you can make your own icing or buy some premade. Adding red and green sprinkles or candies increases the fun!

Peppermint Bark

Recipe found here

If anything says Christmas, it’s peppermint! Peppermint bark is made with two types of chocolate — dark chocolate and white chocolate — and topped with crushed candy canes. Peppermint extract gives the chocolate its minty flavor. You can melt the chocolate by stove or microwave; don’t worry, I won’t tell if you go the quicker route. 

Muddy Buddies

Recipe found here.

Muddy Buddies are a staple in my house every holiday season. They’re easy to make and taste delicious! All you have to do is coat Chex cereal in chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar. If you want to be extra, you can turn this recipe into a dessert-style mix by adding miniature pretzels and chocolate candies. 

Butter Snowflakes

Recipe found here.

Every year, my dad buys the same tin of assorted butter cookies (you know the one). This recipe ups the holiday spirit with snowflakes. Butter cookies are the perfect gift since the flavor isn’t too strong, meaning that anyone would like them. Plus, you likely already have the key ingredients in your pantry: flour, butter and sugar.

Gingerbread Buche De Noel

Recipe found here.

This recipe is popular in Europe, specifically France. Think of it as a Yule log dessert with a gingerbread twist. You’ll need a candy thermometer for the frosting and a stand mixer to make the job easier. Whether you’re a beginner baker or a seasoned pro, you can’t deny that the cake looks delicious

Holiday Fudge

Recipe found here

It’s not a list of Christmas desserts without a fudge recipe. Not only is it easy to make, but it will cure your chocolate craving! This recipe calls for white chocolate melting chips, so there’s no need to break out the candy thermometer. Don’t forget to finish the fudge bars off with crushed peppermint candies. 

Merry Christmas! I hope you all have an amazing holiday season no matter what you celebrate. Share these festive desserts with your loved ones! I’m sure they would appreciate it.

Brie (she/her) is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying literature, digital humanities and editing & publishing. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, singing in the shower and taking care of her houseplants.
UCF Contributor