5 Ways To Celebrate Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

March is Women’s History Month — a month where we observe and celebrate women’s accomplishments and the vital role women have played in history and society today. Throughout history, women have made significant strides in gaining rights and being treated equally in society. This month is a special time when women get the recognition they deserve. In honor of Women’s History Month, here are five ways that you can celebrate.

Learn more about women’s rights

One fantastic way to celebrate Women’s History Month is to learn more about women’s rights and those who played influential roles in advocating for the rights that women have today. There are many resources to learn about the history of women’s rights, from books to internet resources. Find one that works best for you and educate yourself to understand the struggles, trials and tribulations women have encountered to hold their place in society today. (If you’re looking for a quick read, this internet resource gives a brief overview and timeline of some history behind women’s rights in America.)

read a biographical book about an influential woman

Books like My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Becoming by Michelle Obama are great reads for Women’s History Month. However, if biographical books aren’t your thing, reading a book by a female author or a book to better yourself are great alternatives. Browse your local library for books like these or visit your nearest bookstore and get a copy of something you’re interested in reading about or improving upon. Podcasts are also a great option if don’t think you’ll have enough time to read as you can listen to them while driving or doing other tasks.

Support Female Business owners

Women in business have not always been accepted and are still not accepted by some. So, what better way to celebrate than by supporting the strong entrepreneurial female business owners? There are many amazing female-owned businesses online. You can also find some great female-owned businesses locally! Some local Orlando female-owned businesses include Etoile Boutique, Gasp and Valhalla Bakery.

host a get together with women in your life

Hosting a get-together with friends and other important women in your life is a fun way to celebrate, as nothing is better than surrounding yourself with the women that you love, who support and inspire you. During the get-together, you can reflect on one another’s accomplishments, support each other and/or watch a movie that is centered on women or directed by a woman.  

thank the previous generation of women in your family

A final way to celebrate Women’s History Month is by learning about the previous generations of women in your family, listening to their stories and offering them a thank you. You might be surprised to learn about what they went through, as many women that have come before have struggled in ways that we’re not always aware of.

There are many ways you can celebrate Women’s History Month, and these are just a few ways to get you started. Women, of course, should be celebrated throughout the whole year. Still, March is a time that serves as a reminder for us to recognize the achievements of women, reflect on our history and continue supporting women and advocating for women’s rights.

Lindsey is a senior majoring in Advertising and Public Relations with a double minor in Writing and Rhetoric and Mass Culture and Collective Behavior at University of Central Florida. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing, advertising or pubic relations one day. Most of the time she can be found studying around campus or hanging out with friends. In her free time, she loves to travel, cook, and go to theme parks.