This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Do you tremble at the thought of eating a salad? Does your upper lip visibly shake with fear as you’re watching a friend eat raw kale? Do you want to mentally throw up as you’re listening to the word “vegetable?” If you answered yes to the following questions, then you may be a picky eater. Personally speaking, being a picky eater is an identity that I will always hold close to my soul because it helped me grow as a person. I learned so many things about myself as I expanded my taste palate through new foods.

It may seem silly to you, but 2019 was a very monumental year for me as I discovered hummus for the first time in my life. Ever since that day, hummus has become one of my favorite go-to snacks. From 18 years of hot pockets and pizza rolls, I slowly transitioned to eating delicious salads and adventurous foods. I know what it takes to change and with these five easy and helpful steps, you can learn how to stop being a picky eater too.

Make a Plan

Change may not happen overnight, but a good plan will speed up the process. Start off by setting some easy and manageable goals for yourself to determine what you would like to accomplish over time. Ask yourself why you want to stop being a picky eater and create a realistic plan to accomplish this goal. It could be increasing your weekly vegetable intake or just trying a new healthy food each week. Whichever goal you decide to create, just make sure to commit to it every day.

Pick a Starter Vegetable

Starter vegetables allow you to build a tolerance to other foods over time. Your starter vegetable can be anything, but it should be something that you enjoy. It can even be a small vegetable in a dish you already like. For instance, if you’re a huge fan of broccoli soup then try incorporating other foods with broccoli in your diet. My starter vegetable was spinach, which led me to romaine lettuce and then kale.

A Little Goes A Long Way

The most realistic plan of action is to start slow and simple when it comes to changing an old habit. Slowly incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet each week and spice it up with different recipes. If you absolutely hate the taste of leafy green vegetables, I highly recommend putting spinach in your smoothies because the taste is essentially undetectable. You can also put a little bit of dressing in your salads to mask the taste of the vegetables or sneak them into your favorite dishes like cauliflower mac and cheese.

Find Inspiration

Expand your horizons by exploring new and exciting recipes through various social media apps. Watch cooking videos on YouTube to learn different ways to cook your vegetables. Visit cooking blogs to gain insight on which vegetables to try next. My personal favorite app to search for inspiration is Pinterest, where I can gather a million pins for easy recipes and healthy snacks.

Change Your Mindset

The entire point of trying new foods is to explore your interests, so it’s okay to not enjoy certain things. Never be afraid of trying new things because you may end up surprising yourself and liking them anyway. To encourage an open mindset, try a new cuisine with your friends or follow a recipe that’s outside of your comfort zone.

As a motivational ex-picky eater, I hope these five simple steps inspired you to expand your taste palate. Eating healthy as a picky eater is a challenging task but anyone can change their old habits when they put their minds to it. Go out there and conquer the world one vegetable at a time, and always remember to have fun!

Images: Hero, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Violet is a junior studying advertising/public relations. As a huge foodie, Violet is always searching for new places for great food. Her favorite restaurant is Vietnomz and she absolutely adores mochi donuts. When she's not at work as a marketing assistant, she enjoys graphic design and watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Her dream is to become a creative director for an advertising agency one day to create iconic campaigns.
UCF Contributor