Girl doing alpine touring
Girl doing alpine touring
Original photo by Océane Renoud

5 Unexpected Essentials To Pack for Your Christmas Break Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a lifelong Florida resident, I’m not well acquainted to the cold. My central Florida Christmases have generally remained in the 45 to 85-degree range, but my Swedish heritage has provided me with some extremely cold holidays. Through my experience skiing in negative 15-degree weather (yes, negative 15 degrees Fahrenheit) and trudging around Stockholm in the bitter wind and snow, I’ve found a few essential items you need to bring on any trip up north.

mittens

You’re probably wondering why mittens are essential, and not gloves. The answer is that both are necessary, but mittens are often overlooked because of their slightly impaired dexterity. However, mittens are warmer than gloves because they keep your fingers grouped together, which allows your body heat to work to your advantage. I have found that at least two layers on my hands is the best way to go for skiing or any time I’ll be outside for an extended period of time. You could use a thinner pair of gloves inside a waterproof pair of mittens or go old school with a waterproof pair of gloves inside large wool mittens. Mittens were a lifesaver for me on the aforementioned negative 15-degree weather ski trip.

warm neck gaiter

Scarves may be cute when it’s a temperate 35 degrees outside, and you’re holding a hot peppermint mocha in your hands, but they can be cumbersome during active outdoor activities. While sledding down a mountain, you don’t want your scarf moving around, so wear a plush neck gaiter instead. It’s literally just a tube of material you pull over your head, so your gaiter won’t budge even if you slalom down a slope. Bonus: the gaiter can easily be pulled up over your nose for face protection in the wind or you can purchase a balaclava if you desire face, head and neck warmth.

Hand and foot warmers

Your extremities, aka hands and feet, lose heat very quickly in cold climates, so hand and foot warmers are essential. There are many different types including those with adhesive for your sock or glove or insoles for your shoes, but any kind will do. Pro tip: for hand warmers, mittens are important to use so that the warmer can sit close to your fingertips (the coldest parts of your hands) instead of simply on the back of your hand in a glove.

tights & a long coat

Although jeans look super cute in Instagram pics, they aren’t made for winter weather, and cold air cuts right through them. If you still want to wear your Levi’s while you live your white Christmas dream, consider wearing some (sheer or opaque) tights underneath them and a long coat over top. I got a Tommy Hilfiger coat while it was on sale at Macy’s when I got it, and I love that it got along with my boots and tights, will keep me warm and allow me to look cute too.

wool socks

Fuzzy fleece socks with polar bears on them may be adorable, but they won’t offer you real warmth in the snow. For extreme cold, I recommend wearing at least two layers of socks: a thinner inside sock and a thick wool-based sock on top of that with a toe warmer sandwiched between them if necessary. Amazon sells many wool blend socks with thousands of positive reviews, so finding them shouldn’t be a problem.

This guide isn’t comprehensive, but I highlighted a few items that keep me warm in extreme Scandinavian winters. Even though traveling where the temperature drops below freezing is foreign to most Florida natives, hopefully, this list will help you stay toasty like a pro.

Kristina is a senior majoring in Finance with a minor in Psychology. When she's not at a coffee shop or going for a run, you can catch her suffering at the library questioning her life choices. She loves watching college football and writing for HerCampus!