5 Tips You Need to Know to Set Off your Career in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

What does it take to be successful in college?  Most people would say the obvious common answers: good grades, campus involvement, work experience, etc. In our era, technology is not only switching up the way we communicate but the way we get hired and form our job presence to future employers! Here are five tips on how to navigate your college career as technology continues to redefine the path to our dream jobs:

Network

You know what the real, more simple definition of network is? Going out and meeting people! Not only online, but also in person. Your next job is most likely to come from someone you know and meeting people can be as simple as going out for pizza! It’s important to get out of your comfort zone and meet people who are different from you. It’s easy to invest in your inner circle, but everyone has a different story to tell!

Master Interviewing

An interview is not only the first but also the most important step to getting your “foot in the door” to your desired job, internship, or leadership position. So prepare for interviewing questions, and be aware of answers that truly highlight your best work and personality traits

Be Cautious of Your Online Presence

According to Alice Marwick’s new book “Selfie Sabotage”, women spend 30% more time on social networking site and are judged a lot more harshly than men’s profiles. It’s important to be aware of your personal presence online. Employers now reach to Facebook first to really “get to know” future employees, so think before you post.

It’s All About Work Ethic

This is an obvious one, but it’s a simple truth that matters tremendously. Whether it is in your classes, the clubs/ organizations you’re involved with, your job, and even in some of the relationships that you have with others; you will get what you give.  College may get overwhelming sometimes but every small task leads to the success of your career and will be worth; so give everything your best shot and don’t sell yourself short.

Aim For What You Love

College is your time to discover what you love to do, and want to do in your career. The opportunities are endless and it doesn’t all have to limit to your major. Interested in theatre or dance? Participate in a school skit or join the Salsa Club! You never know what opportunities are in store for you in different activities that you love. 

Ligia Forbes is a student at the University of Central Florida, and a Her Campus UCF News Writer. Afro-latina, World Traveler, UNICEF Advocate,Big Sister, and lover of living life on purpose.
UCF Contributor