This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As someone who’s always trying to change up their fashion style (and is a chronically broke college student) I’ve learned many techniques for the art of thrifting. It was overwhelming when I first started. How were the TikTok accounts finding cute grandpa sweaters, but all I would find were dingy company-sponsored t-shirts? 

When shopping at second-hand spots I used to go in with high hopes and leave with only one piece I found worthy of being purchased. I had no idea what type of clothes I was actually looking for. I simply expected to see rows and rows of rare finds, like the ones I had seen on the thrift girlies’ Instagram accounts. I was hit with the hard truth that I was going to need to set better expectations and put in more work. Over time and with much research, I’ve learned the secrets to successful thrifting that are key to looking great on a budget.

Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Build a vision

If you don’t know what you’re looking for, how will you find it? This basic philosophy applies to many areas in life, especially when trying to build a perfect closet. Before walking into any shop always have a goal for styles or pieces you’re hunting for. A great way to do this is by going on Pinterest and creating a mood board for styles, whether it be 90s grunge, dark academia, downtown girl, etc. I also suggest taking screenshots of any celebrity or social media influencer looks you would like to replicate. Gathering the pictures will give you a better sense of what pieces you need to hunt for to achieve the aesthetic you desire.  

After curating inspiration for your dream look, search for a certain theme you notice within all of the pictures. This could be a specific color palette like that of dark academia, which uses lots of dark neutral colors like blacks, browns, beiges, and whites. Another detail to note is finding essential basic items that can be versatile for different outfits. I’m a lover of soft 90s grunge, so an oversized leather jacket and a good variety of denim are key components to my outfits.

Pick the right Spots

I’m from Miami (but really Hialeah), where a good percent of the population are older Hispanic women who love brightly patterned blouses or capri slacks. It was disappointing walking into Goodwill for the first time and seeing my grandmother’s entire wardrobe in the store. Although it may be a fashion paradise for her, it’s not a look I see myself reaching for. If you want certain clothes, go to areas where the people wear them. If you’re on the hunt for, let’s say, vintage purses, you might find that people in wealthier neighborhoods donate them to the thrift shops in their area.

Another trick is not only going to the right locations but also the right sections in the thrift stores. I used to only look in the women’s section for clothes I wanted, assuming it was that simple, but this limits the amount of options you really have. Always look around the entire store because sometimes the best gems are in parts of the store you might not be the target audience for. One of my favorite pieces might be a striped sweater from the kid’s section that fits just right.

BE BRAVE AND GO TO THE BINS

The Goodwill bins. These words used to haunt me, as I feared digging through clothes with swarms of people and not finding anything I wanted. One day my friend Lawrence forced me to strap on gloves, put on my game face, and go searching through the bins with him. Ever since then, I never looked back. 

Although it’s not for beginners, going shopping at the bins is definitely the best way to shop. The way to go is to get up bright and early with at least two hours to kill, because it’ll definitely take some hard work. Be aware that none of the pieces are organized, so you’ll see a mix of all different seasons, styles, and generations of garments and attire. Digging through the bins takes lots of effort as you try to find the good stuff before resellers and deal shoppers.

When you rifle through the piles of clothes, you are always guaranteed to find at least one thing worth buying. The best part is that instead of paying per item, you’ll be paying based on weight; everything you find is charged by the pound. With an average rate of under $2 per pound, you’re sure to leave with loaded bags that’ll fill your closet.

Learn How to Alter & Repurpose Items

A big factor of thrifting right is knowing you’re not always going to find clothes that fit you just right. As they’re all second-hand pieces, some might be too big or have rips or other defects. The good news is that there are many tricks to work around it so you don’t have to leave behind pieces you love over one small hole or mark. You can remove stains, for example, by dyeing them a darker color so that they’re no longer visible. Owning a basic sewing kit will also work miracles on used clothes, as you can fix any little cuts in the fabric. There are many tutorials online demonstrating basic stitches. In my experience, I always have to alter the length of pants that are too long, so I use elastics and folds to help shorten them.

A key technique is thinking outside of the box with items you find. This can be as basic as folding dresses a certain way to use them as skirts. My friend Kaitlyn loves to find nicely colored scarves and tie them into cute tops. You don’t always need to be a professional with a sewing machine set up to repurpose good finds.

Bring A friend

Finally, two heads are always better than one when trying to reach a goal. Thrifting with other people has many perks that will help you in a store or at the bins. With a group, you can cover more ground at once to cut your shopping time in half. At the bins, it gives you a better chance of getting first picks when you’re spread out in the store. Your friends can also assist you in the hunt for any clothes or styles you may want. Friends help put things in perspective, as they can find items you may need to curate a certain aesthetic. 

Besides reducing the time at stores, having friends around is good for a second opinion. If you’re ever unsure about buying a piece you found, you can check on them to get their point of view. They can also be quite the problem solver when it comes to altering and repurposing. By putting your heads together, you can think of new ways to wear different finds and fix anything wrong with the clothing. 

Overall, thrifting is the best way to ball on a budget. Although you may not be able to thrift everything you want, it’s a great way to find rare and interesting pieces. Thrifting is a great way to help the environment as you’re giving used products a second chance. With trends constantly cycling through the media, we always tend to go back to styles we’ve seen in the past. Luckily for us all, those pieces in second-hand shops are waiting to be rediscovered today.

Jasmine is a Writer for the Her Campus UCF. She in her sophomore year studying Lodging & Restaurant Management and is working to get her Beverage Certificate. In her free time she loves to play with her dog, bake and cook for her friends and obsess over her favorite musical artist.