Life > Experiences

5 Things You Should’ve Learned in Driver’s Ed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In the United States, driving a car is often an inevitable part of daily life. If you don’t have a natural talent behind the wheel like me, you may find yourself overly cautious on the road.

It gives me much more peace of mind to drive when I prepare for the unexpected. A lot of driving situations are not explicitly taught, and if you’re anything like me, you have some glaringly unanswered questions about how to handle problems on the road.

Here are the top five driving topics you should know:

Driving In lightning

I remember being told that a car is a safe place in a lightning storm due to its rubber tires. Cars are a safe place to be in a lightning storm, but not because of the tires. The metal body of most vehicles allows the passage of energy from the strike through the car into the car. This applies as long as the car is mostly metal, as most are, and the windows are closed. A convertible, for example, is not a good decision in a storm, as the roof isn’t metal.

Avoiding exiting the vehicle in the middle of the storm. Refrain from touching electrical or metal equipment in the car, such as the radio and gear shift. These could still be charged from the strike. Pull off to the side, turn on the hazards and turn off the engine. The hazards could be out of commission. Other damage to the vehicle could include engine stall, electrical damage, fire, airbag activation. Use your judgment and calmly park and exit the vehicle when it’s safe to do so. Depending on the intensity of the strike, expect burn scorches on the vehicle. Be aware of your car and the new potential hazards post-strike and in the environment to best protect yourself and your passengers.

Lightning is serious business, and as powerful, beautiful and threatening as it looks in the sky. According to the National Weather Service, a single lightning flash contains 300 million volts of electricity, so it’s always better to seek shelter and avoid travel during a storm.

Driving in water

Growing up in Florida, I’m no stranger to flooding. I have seen my fair share of cars wrecked by stagnant water filling the streets. Hurricane Season is inevitable for Floridians, but no matter where you live — if you’re a driver, you’ll find yourself in heavy rain.

When driving through water or rain, use wipers and headlights appropriately to improve visibility. Slow down and drive in the center of the lane if possible, less water accumulates here. Avoid puddles when possible. Your vehicle will likely fair fine in shallow water, but it’s often difficult to accurately determine the depth of water collection. It also may be helpful to drive in line with other vehicles, as the consistent movement can flush some of the water out of the way. Once out of heavy water, dry your breaks by slowly applying pressure. Driving too fast or braking too suddenly in the rain can cause or worsen skidding and hydroplaning. Ease out of water slowly without relying too much on gas or breaks.

Driving in rain or flood should be avoided, but if necessary get your car checked out after. Water in the intake engine and braking systems can lead to engine and brake failure. Neither are favorable outcomes when driving.

Driving in snow

Driving in snow can be very difficult. It’s always best to avoid driving in these conditions. Before getting behind the wheel, check the exhaust pipe sticking out the back, and make sure it’s not clogged with snow. When driving, maintain adequate distance from the car in front of you, use your headlights, wipers and hazards appropriately. Speed isn’t your friend. Drive gently avoid slamming on the gas or breaks as black ice is often reported in these conditions.

Be aware of your car: Driving in snow, especially in traffic, can be a very stressful and potentially deadly situation. According to the New York Times, 21 tourists were killed in Dec. 2021 in Muree Pakistan, after a blizzard left thousands trapped in frigid temperatures. Many died due to the freezing conditions and faulty heater systems that caused carbon monoxide to leak inside the vehicle at saturated levels. Always make sure to check weather conditions before driving, keep your vehicle up to date with safety inspections and be prepared with appropriate clothing and blankets.

aVOID dISTRACTED dRIVING

Distracted driving is one of the most dangerous behaviors while driving. Many of us drive so often, that we connect to autopilot and fail to actively recognize our surroundings. Cell phones and friends can be deadly distractions when it means you are taking your eyes off the road. We were often taught in school, that drugs and alcohol use are detrimental to drivers, and while this is true, distracted driving from a friend, phone call or text can lead to the same horrible outcomes.

Make sure everyone in your car is buckled, behaved and not under the influence. Avoid driving when sleepy, dizzy, or sick as these conditions can impair you from controlling your vehicle and reacting quickly to the outside world.

Regular car maintenance

I was often taught the rules of the road but not how to care for my own vehicle. Here are the hard and fast rules according to expresscareautomn.com:

1. Check your tire pressure regularly (monthly or every other time you get gas). You can find the PSI information for your tires on the inside of the driver’s side door. Decreases in temperature can cause lower air pressure due to compression. For this reason, keep a closer eye on your tire PSI in winter.
  2. Get your oil changed every 3-5 months or every 4,000-7,000 miles.
  3. Have your break fluid and break systems checked every 5,000-7,000 miles.
  4. If you bought your car from a dealership, bring your car in for a service every 3-6 months.

Girls often get a bad rap for being bad drivers. Women have many instincts that make them very capable behind the wheel. There are other reasons for bad driving, such as a lack of confidence. For me, this often stems from a lack of familiarity. Knowing the rules, and what to do in sticky situations will make you a lot more confident as a driver. A lot of driving is act now, think later, so it is best to be prepared beforehand as situations come up without warning.

I hope these rules made you feel more safe, prepared, and in control of the part of your life spent operating a vehicle. Driving is a great exercise of your independence, and being able to get yourself anywhere at any time is such a beautiful thing to be thankful for, as long as you are smart about it. Buckle up, abide by the speed limits, and be safe behind the wheel!

Hanya Irfan is pursuing a degree in Health Sciences with a minor in Cognitive Science at the University of Central Florida. She is avid lover of alternative and classic rock, good books, long walks, and live music. In her spare time, she is passionate about teaching English and drinking cold caffeinated beverages.