This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Now that we are a month into classes, it is time to get serious about what your freshman year is going to look like. Depending on what experiences you are looking to have as your first year as a Knight, you cannot deny that at a school this large, opportunities are limitless. Here are my five recommendations on what you should do your first year at UCF:

1. Join a club.

Coming to a campus this large can be very intimidating. The best way to overcome this, is by joining a club or organization. By doing this, our university will seem smaller and more cozy. Through clubs, you can meet friends that share similar interests as you; whether it be philanthropy/community service (check out Knight-thon), or event planning (look up CAB or Homecoming Committee). The possibilities are endless when we have over 600 registered clubs and organizations.  

2.  Rush for a sorority or fraternity.

This is one that is highly recommended by those in Greek life. Whether you decided to go the Pan-Hellenic route, or professional fraternity route, sororities and fraternities can help you develop as a leader and help you network with other students and alumnus. Plus, you get a bunch of new friends. Who doesn’t love that? There are many different ones you can join, so go find your home! You might end up with a bunch of new brothers or sisters. 

3.  Tailgate at Knights on the Mall.

Tailgating is an interesting tradition at universities. While there is a lot of drinking happening at tailgates, don’t think that is what it is all about. There is plenty of freebies; such as black and gold beaded necklaces, music, and the best of all- free food! You are going to learn pretty fast that free food is life. While you are there, get a tan and play some frisbee or football. 

4.  Go to a football game.

Before I say anything, it is free! My favorite word. This is an activity alumni, parents, and Knight fans pay big money to come to, and by just being a UCF student, we can go for free and cheer our boys on. You will not see school spirit like the kind you do at a football game. So put on your black and gold and join us at our next home game at Bright House Networks Stadium. 

5.  Take a selfie with Knightro.

Probably my favorite on this list is to take a selfie with Knightro. He is UCF’s campus cutie every day. I honestly love seeing him around campus and at university events. He is always so peppy and pumped! So, make sure to ask him for a selfie next time you see him. He is always photo-ready!

I hope you are as excited to be at UCF as I am, make sure to make your mark here. Don’t just be a number, do something incredible. You have all the skills you need! I have faith in all my fellow new Knights.

Go Knights and charge on!

Photo credit:

http://www.todaysorlando.com/sites/default/files/todo/img/knights_footba…

http://www.todaysorlando.com/sites/default/files/todo/img/college_footba…

http://www.trbimg.com/img-55f0759f/turbine/os-ucf-fraternity-sorority-su…

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/styles/hcxo_hero_standard/p…

Michelle is a UCF junior interdisciplinary studies major and marketing minor who loves Youtube, primetime tv shows, and her dog Pepper. Being that she is a new Knight, she loves all thing UCF, especially if her bae Knightro is involved. In her spare time, you can find Michelle hanging out with friends, binge-watching her favorite Youtubers, or jamming to BillBoard Top 100. If you are at a lost for words when talking to Michelle, bring up her celeb crush Tom Hiddleston and you will be set for life. She really loves that man. Follow her on Twitter for insight on UCF and everything else bouncing around in her brain! 
Victoria is a senior studying Broadcast Journalism and minoring in Criminal Justice at UCF, and is also the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. When Victoria is not attending classes, you can find her and her giant hair (it's full of secrets) in the Student Union pretending to study, but actually watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Her dreams include holding a puppy for three days straight, and marrying Jimmy Fallon on the stage of Saturday Night Live. If you see Victoria around campus and she hasn't quoted Beyonce three times, run because you have found an imposter! This lovely Italian lives for Beyonce quotes (ladies, tell 'em) and fashionable boots. If you like cheesy jokes, cute pics of animals dressed like humans, or embarrassing stories of her life, you should follow her on Twitter @imunprevictable, or her step-by-step blog on Tumblr on how to survive college! *Does Single Ladies dance out of room*