This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ever felt unprepared for where to begin studying for your finals?  Although some finals are projects or papers, the majority of finals are cumulative exams given towards the end of the semester. And if you’re lucky, they’re not cumulative. No matter what type of exam you’re studying for, here are five tips to get you prepared for your exams.

Determine How Much Content You Need To Cover

Every class is different in how their finals will be formatted and administered. The best way to get acquainted with what your professors expect you to know is by checking back in on their syllabus. The syllabus might have details on the total number of questions or whether it’ll contain multiple-choice, true/false, open answers, etc. Read through and see what information will be on your exams, and start compiling all of your notes from throughout the semester. Every final is unique, but you can sometimes predict how it’ll be formatted based on the previous exams from the semester. You can try messaging your professor to ask if they can give you any more information about it, but don’t be surprised if they don’t want to share that information with you. Remember to be kind and respectful to your professors, it may end up helping you later.

Use the Right Method for Retention

Once you have a decent idea as to the content you need to cover before your exam, start planning exactly how to study for it. Some people prefer to just read over their notes once or twice and do fine with just that. Other people need to rewrite notes or use quiz-style learning like Quizlet or Kahoot. Every student learns and practices differently, and some people need more refreshing than others. Choose the right form of studying that fits your needs. Personally, I like teaching someone else the content to check what I already know and review what I don’t remember.

Meet with a Study Group

Depending on the format and size of your class, consider meeting with a study group for your exam. If you have an established group, that works! If not, you can reach out to some classmates if they’re interested in an in-person or Zoom review session to cover the content together and go over practice problems with one another. My advice is to be careful with what you and your classmates share. TAs and professors can get involved if there is any academic dishonesty, so avoid situations where you may get in trouble. Apps like GroupMe and Discord have been used in the past by students sharing content or information they shouldn’t be, so use them at your own discretion.

Don’t Cram

Procrastinating does more harm than good when it comes to final exams. Some finals open for one to two weeks for you to complete, while others have a set date. Have a timetable available to record your exam due dates and be prepared to study accordingly. Prioritize them however you’d like, whether it’s the final that’s due sooner or the one that you feel has greater importance. You might have to take turns studying for multiple exams depending on how many you have ahead of you. Regardless, don’t wait until the last moment to begin studying so you can avoid exhausting cramming sessions.

Finally, Breathe

In the end, don’t forget to take a deep breath and know that it’ll all be okay. You’ve worked hard all semester and tried your best regardless of how well you did. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep before your exams, eat enough food and drink plenty of water. Don’t stress yourself out over what you can’t control. Try your best, accept whatever happens and keep moving forward. Good luck with your finals!

All in all, finals week can be a nightmare, but it doesn’t have to be! By using one or all of these tips, you can make a stressful week totally stress-free.

UCF Contributor