The 5 Stages of Waiting in Line at the UCF Bookstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every semester during the first two weeks of classes, one of my favorite spots on campus turns into a nightmare. It’s the ultimate test of patience and our overall commitment to finishing our education. You have to get the correct ISBN’s, titles, do the initial online search and ordering. But then, there are those courses that require a “custom edition” textbook, which are only available from the college bookstore. All of your planning can’t save you from going to the physical bookstore if you want to have the book in time for assignments. You have no choice now.

There is something about long lines that threaten everyone’s sanity. It can be a very emotional experience feeling stuck for so long. But try to stay optimistic. I mean, no one has ever died from standing in line for too long, right?

Stage 1) Dread/Fear.

What if someone won’t stop talking to me? What if I get trapped in a dull conversation while I’m held hostage in this line?! What if I get hungry or thirsty?

It doesn’t matter that you just ate, you’re still worried about being stuck in line for who knows how long and snack-less. But you try to focus, hoping it won’t take as long as it seems. You just have to stay put, and it’ll be all over soon. Just keep calm and think about what you’re going to eat later.

Stage 2) Determination.

Don’t focus on the prices. Remember what we’re here for…

Why even waste time by daydreaming of all the things you’d buy if you didn’t have to buy these expensive textbooks. It’s just too sad. Stay strong.

Stage 3) Anger.

Why am I still here?!!

You are near the front, the register is in your view, but still have about 10 people in front of you. You start staring intensely, heavily criticizing the technique of the salesperson and wishing bad grades on the students who decided to take up extra time at the register by asking non-relevant questions or joking around like it’s a regular day. Come on guys, this is serious business. Get your textbooks and just leave, people!

Stage 4) Delusional arrogance.

I don’t need these books! I’ll wing it! I’ll mooch! I’ll borrow! I’ll try to find it somewhere else!

To cheer yourself up and divert your attention away from the slow moving line, your mind went a little too far with keeping you positive. In reality, you do, in fact, need these textbooks. Because who knows, this might be the one professor that actually utilizes the entire book. And let’s be honest, you know good and well that you’re not going to really ask around to borrow/share a textbook. 

Stage 5) Relief. Clarity. Peace. You made it to the front of the line.

It’s finally your turn. . .

Your salt levels have returned to normal, and you can start functioning like a sweet, rational person again. You’ve been rehearsing this very moment during your long wait. And you’re not going to let down the poor souls still waiting behind you in line. No, you are going to be truly efficient. Zero funny business, just get the book and get out.

Waiting in lines aren’t so bad, when you have a colorful mind that keeps you very entertained. It can actually be a good time to organize your thoughts or an opportunity to brainstorm an issue that’s been on your mind. True, it can be super annoying. But you’re the master when it comes to going through a storm of emotions without having a public meltdown. Yay! To everyone around, you were just another girl in line with resting bitch face. 

Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re not committed to your education. College involves a lot of waiting, and success happens when you have great patience. And you’ll be an expert in that by the time you graduate. Fingers crossed.

But for now you deserve a nice treat for showing strength and resilience. Hopefully there isn’t a major line at the UCF Starbucks right now. *sigh*

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5

Shanelle is pursing an Interdisciplinary degree at UCF with concentrations in Biomedical Sciences and Health Sciences, accompanied by a minor in Magazine Journalism. She has a great love for literature, music and nature, and in her free time she enjoys baking, cooking, painting, knitting, basically creating anything with her hands. But her desire to create and explore is often overcomed by her need for hot tea, naps and Netflix marathons. 
UCF Contributor