5 Songs You Need To Spook Up Your Halloween Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Halloween is a great time of year known for its spooky decorations, creative costumes, tasty candy, thrilling movies and, above all, chilling music. Halloween has numerous infamous spooky songs that you can play to get in the Halloween spirit and reminisce on past celebrations. When creating your playlist this season, here are five songs you can add to spook up your playlist.

“Monster Mash” by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & The Crypt Kickers

What song screams Halloween more than “Monster Mash”? This song was essentially written for the holiday and has been a popular tune for years. Because of its clean lyrics and fun storyline, it has been used on several kids’ Halloween playlists and most of us can probably remember the first time we heard it several years ago. Its ability to transcend generations makes it bound to get anyone in the mood to dance the night away.

“Thriller” by Michael Jackson

Though “Thriller” wasn’t necessarily created as a Halloween song, this 1980s pop song quickly became a Halloween classic due to its creepy storyline, lyrics and monologue provided by Vincent Price. It became even more of a hit when its music video was released and provided iconic choreography for the song. The music video is now a must-watch, and the song is a staple on any Halloween playlist.

“Ghostbusters Theme” by Ray Parker Jr.

“Who you gonna call?” This song, a theme song to the movie Ghostbusters, brings out nostalgia and serves as a reminder of the iconic movie. It inspired Halloween costumes for decades and is a great song to play at any Halloween event. Add this to your party playlist so you can start conversations by asking others who their favorite ghostbuster is.

“This Is Halloween” by Marilyn Manson

No Halloween song gets you in the spirit quite like “This is Halloween.” This song on The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack is remembered by both children and adults as one of the most iconic songs in the film and listening to the track is like taking a walk down memory lane. Its references to pumpkins, screams and skeletons remind us of everything we love about the holiday and the movie.

“Spooky, Scary, Skeletons” by Andrew Gold

This track will send shivers down your spine. Released in 1996, “Spooky, Scary, Skeletons” is a fun Halloween song that in recent years has gained popularity through TikTok. If you want to test your moves, you could even try doing the spooky scary skeleton dance challenge. (If you don’t know what that is, I suggest looking it up on TikTok.) There are now several remixes of this song, and any would make an amazing addition to your playlist.

There are several other great creepy songs to spook up your playlist, but these are some to start you off that will surely put you in the mood to enjoy the Halloween spirit. Here’s to hoping everyone has a fantastic fall while enjoying some great music with their festivities!

Lindsey is a senior majoring in Advertising and Public Relations with a double minor in Writing and Rhetoric and Mass Culture and Collective Behavior at University of Central Florida. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing, advertising or pubic relations one day. Most of the time she can be found studying around campus or hanging out with friends. In her free time, she loves to travel, cook, and go to theme parks.