5 Reasons You Should Stay Single Your Senior Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

At this point in our collegiate careers, I think we are all well aware that college breeds a different species of male. One semester living in a college town is time enough to support that fact. Coming from a broad background of both ends of the spectrum (full-blown “I’m going to marry him” relationships to spending Valentines with my best girlfriend,) it’s safe to say that your senior year of college should belong to YOU and only you. Sure, dating’s fun, but let’s be real—right now a frat formal is about as romantic as it’ll get. Here are five reasons why you should save the serious stuff for post-graduation.

1. This is your time to shine! Soak it up.

There is nothing like your senior year of college. Right now everything is bittersweet, surreal, and meant to be remembered. Don’t dilute these precious memories with jealous arguments and stressful compromises. This is your last chance to be excusable all over the place. Why let someone else restrain you? This is a period of personal growth that you shouldn’t miss a minute of! College is a place to find yourself, not to get lost. Well… maybe only briefly.

2. You still need to pass your classes.

Simple, but essential. Not only are you scrambling to order cap and gown, conquer every bar and restaurant in town that you haven’t yet, and plan out the entirety of the rest of your life—but you’re expected to pass your classes, too. Time left for boyfriend = zero.

3. College guys have an unequipped mindset.

So maybe that’s a generalization, but for the most part it’s true. If haven’t yet noticed, everybody in college is pretty self-focused—and rightfully so. It goes the same for college men. They are here for many reasons, most of which do not include finding a wife. This is crucial male development time—with hopes that they will emerge at least decently datable. Therefore, do not settle. Why settle for a mediocre relationship with a guy who doesn’t know how to treat you anyways? Focus on yourself, your friendships, your career goals, your philanthropies, your sleep schedule, your bank account, your sanity and… just about nearly anything else.

4. Your friends deserve your full attention.

Everyone says you find your life-long friends in college, and in most cases I would imagine this to be true (still here.) This is crunch time for not only you, but for your besties as well. Be there for each other. Strengthen your relationships with the ones who have grown to become your second family. Soon you’ll be venturing off into this big cold world without one another. Cherish this time with your favorite company while you still have it. Hashtag depressing.

5. You can be a free bird.

Do you have a grandeur vision of moving off to an exhilarating new city after graduation? Do it. Even better, do it with no strings attached. You’ll never be more free than you are in this moment. Embrace this. The world is your oyster—or however that goes.

There isn’t a word in the English dictionary to appropriately describe this chapter of your life, but blissful is a runner up. Your senior year of college only comes once. Do not waste time getting caught up in irrelevancy, but instead live in the moment. And when it’s time to take on the world—do so fearlessly, independently, and full-heartedly. This life is your own, take hold of it!