This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The official release date for Jurassic World: Dominion is June 10, 2022. Mark your calendars because it’s going to be the best film of the summer. Here are five reasons to be excited about the upcoming film’s release:

The Original Jurassic Park Cast’s Return

If you’re a true Jurassic Park fan, you probably teared up when you saw Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler and Ian Malcolm’s appearances in the new trailer. Some fans even noticed a small picture in the background of Alan and Ellie from the 1993 classic. Talk about attention to detail! In an interview with Collider, Colin Trevorrow, the director of the film, confirmed the original cast has significant parts. Fans can look forward to their characters having a lot of screen time. Surely, they’ll have plenty of advice for Owen and Claire as they battle with various dinosaurs. After all, their characters were trapped on an island full of prehistoric creatures for days.

More Dinosaurs

One of the most popular new dinosaurs is Baby Blue, whose name was created by fans of the franchise. The trailer contains clips of Blue, the velociraptor from Jurassic World, with a baby raptor running by her side. When the trailer dropped, fans immediately flooded the comments with their excitement over Baby Blue.

The prologue also gives a glimpse into the Mesozoic era, where the audience sees dinosaurs who were formerly not in the Jurassic film series. Fans were even surprised by the feathers on certain dinosaur species, which gives us another reason to be enthused about the film.

Higher Stakes

At the end of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, a multitude of dinosaurs escaped into the city. Others, purchased at an auction, remained in cages on the back of traveling vehicles. With dinosaurs already on the loose in the next film, humans worldwide will face terror.

In the Jurassic World: Dominion prologue, a young boy remains paralyzed with fear as a T-rex crashes a drive-in movie. Such scenes show a peek into the higher stakes of the Jurassic World trilogy’s epic conclusion.

New characters

Alongside Claire and Owen’s characters, a new face was spotted. The upcoming film will introduce another character, Kayla Watts. DeWanda Wise, known for her role in Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It, has joined the cast to play a courageous pilot.

Wise spilled more details about her character in her interview with Empire Magazine. She told them, “She’s fresh out of the Air Force and her main thing is flying cargo: mostly dinosaur stuff, but it could be anything.” Her character can be seen facing off with the Pyroraptor, Quetzalcoatlus and other dinosaurs in the film’s trailer.

Different locations

As Kayla’s pilot character suggests, the film’s characters will be traveling to different places to prevent chaos. At the trailer’s beginning, dinosaurs run through the snow, which has never been done in past Jurassic Park and Jurassic World films. This summer, audience members will see dinosaurs in new, unfamiliar environments, which adds more risks for the characters.

Jurassic World: Dominion is the conclusion of the franchise. Though the trilogy will end this summer, fans still have content to look forward to. Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous on Netflix has continued to receive praise. Fans are hoping for season 5 to arrive on Netflix before the summer. Regardless, on June 10, Jurassic World: Dominion hits theaters and there are plenty of reasons to be hyped for its release.

Deanna is a senior majoring in English Creative Writing at UCF along with an Editing and Publishing certificate. After graduation, she plans to pursue an editorial career. When she's not writing or studying, she loves singing, listening to music, and watching scary movies.