alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Must Dos at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

1. Dress Up as Your Favorite Character

I think the best part of Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) is becoming creative with your costumes and being able to dress up as any Disney character imaginable. Whether it’s the star of a Disney Channel Original Movie, a Pixar character, or your favorite Disney princess, you can choose whoever you want to be for the night. My boyfriend and I had tossed around the idea of Lilo and Stitch, Kim Possible and Ron, and Honey Lemon and Tadashi from Big Hero 6, but we decided on going with Kevin and Russell from UP since it was the most DIY-friendly and cost-effective. Some common ones we noticed throughout the night were Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Woody and Jessie, and Wilderness Explorers.

2. Fill Your Tummy with Treats and Delicious Terrifying Desserts

Right as you walk in, you’re escorted to the side of Main Street where you can pick up your Halloween treat bag and grab your first pack of goodies. Throughout the park, there are 14 spots to satisfy your sweet tooth with Skittles, M&M’s, Twix, and a whole lot more candy. If that’s not enough, several locations around the park offer limited time seasonal desserts including a Jack Skellington push pop dessert, an Oogie Boogie meringue, and a Maleficent lime soft-serve ice cream.

A tip to my allergy-prone friends: Disney offers allergy-friendly goodie bags that notify cast members to give you tokens that you can trade in for gummy bears, smarties, and jelly beans. No need to worry about an EpiPen!

3. Try the “Spookified” Rides (Teacups, Space Mountain, Pirates)

Disney truly embraces the Halloween spirit when they decorate their entire park with pumpkins, cobwebs, and fall leaves. This year, three rides have been modified to fit the theme. Pirates of the Caribbean added a cast member to become a treacherous thief on the “Most Wanted” list. It’s your job to find him and Jack Sparrow as you sail along the eerie canal. In Fantasyland, a smoke machine and neon lights were added to the classic teacups, leaving you dizzier than ever before. Your ride to the stars on Space Mountain is now pitch black and the new music immerses the rider in a thrilling experience. The best part is, you don’t ever have to wait more than 45 minutes for any ride at MNSSHP (including the newest ride, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). 

4. Take Pictures with Characters

Most people come to MNSSHP to trick-or-treat and take pictures with their favorite characters dressed up in costumes, and other characters they don’t see so often. You can meet the classic characters like Peter Pan and Wendy, and Mickey and Minnie, but you can also find Jafar, Jack Skellington and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas, Oogie Boogie Man, Maleficient, Wreck-it-Ralph, and a lot of other characters roaming around the park. Definitely make sure to get there early if you plan to meet characters, since lines can get long really quickly.

I think the best part of Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is becoming creative with your costumes and being able to dress up as any Disney character imaginable

5. Watch the Night Entertainment

Once the sun falls, Disney begins their trio of shows which bring everyone into the heart of the Magic Kingdom, the castle. Throughout the night, there are three Hocus Pocus Villain Spectacular performances where you can celebrate a wicked night with the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus. Right above the castle, fireworks fill the night sky as Disney Villains arrive at the party and sing-along to the monstrous music. After the firework show, you can dance and watch your favorite characters walk down Main Street U.S.A. in Mickey’s “Boo-To-You” Halloween Parade. It’s impossible to not get the song stuck in your head as you walk out of the park. 

Images: 1- Lena Daniels, 2 & 3 – Author, 4

Emily is a second year college student at the University of Central Florida. She is studying Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Writing and Rhetoric. Emily enjoys wandering around the Farmer's Market, dog watching, and spending time in the kitchen. When she's not writing for her classes or catching up on Jane the Virgin, you can find her walking around Epcot, hanging out with friends, or spending too much time at Target. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter!
UCF Contributor