This is an image of dessert from the restaurant I am profiling
Chelsea Velez

5 Local Eats to Try Out During Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

One of the biggest parts of my culture is food. It’s what connects us, what brings us together and even how we express ourselves. Being away from home is hard but I’ve found comfort in our food. Although there isn’t a Cuban restaurant or supermarket on every block here, I’ve been lucky enough to discover some Orlando eats that transport me back home. I couldn’t think of a better time to share these Latin must-try spots than during Hispanic Heritage Month.

Black Bean Deli

Black Bean Deli is a Cuban Cafe owned by my family! Preserving traditions and the Hispanic culture alive means everything to us, and they do just that through authentic Cuban food and drinks. The cafe’s purpose has always been to share our culture with the community. Our owner, Andy, keeps our family’s story alive through this cafe, and he does it in both a modern and ethical way. I might be biased, but Black Bean Deli feels like a piece of home, and it’s the perfect workspace to study with un Cafe con Leche y un pastelito.

Cafe Bustelo

I grew up with Cuban coffee being made every single morning and afternoon. The day didn’t start until the coffee was made and there was always a stack of Cafe Bustelo packs in the pantry. Luckily enough, we have a Cafe Bustelo shop right on UCF’s campus in TCH II. Cafe Bustelo represents all of Latin America and our deep-rooted love for the famous espresso coffee. It’s a great spot to get a cup of coffee and perfect if you don’t have the resources to be driving outside of campus.

Rincón Latino 

This food truck is a hidden gem that serves classic Puerto Rican eats. I genuinely love finding small businesses, like Rincon Latino, where it feels like family and is created with a love for the culture. They make their food with intention and passion— qualities that typically get lost in chain restaurants. This is the perfect opportunity to try something new while also supporting a local small business.

Mecatos Bakery & Cafe

There’s definitely a nostalgia from eating freshly made baked goods and Mecatos brings this to heart. From their empanadas, to arepas, and Postobon soda, you can’t go wrong with any choice on their menu. Mecatos is the type of place to overwhelm you with joy from all their options, but, that’s what’s so exciting about Latin cuisine: the variety.

Old Cuban Cafe

Old Cuban holds a special place in my heart and representative of the Hispanic culture. It’s traditional, it’s classic, and it’s timeless. From the decoration, the live music, the traditional plates, and the language, it all feels so familiar and like you are a part of this welcoming community. It’s where my friends and I end up when we’re missing home or after a long night out.

These restaurants bring to life the Hispanic culture many of us grew up with and are a pinnacle way to connect with people. These are just a few of my favorite spots, but I can’t wait to explore more. As Hispanic Heritage month wraps up, this is a perfect opportunity to try new foods, visit and support local businesses, and find places that bring you comfort.

Alexandra is a senior at the University of Central Florida, originally from Miami, Florida. She is majoring in Graphic Design and loves photography. When she's not at the beach, you can find her cooking, reading or binging New Girl.