Style

5 Last-Minute Halloween Costumes You Can Thrift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Hello, fellow procrastinating and broke witches! With Halloween quickly approaching it may feel like it’s too late to find a costume, let alone one that’s affordable. But the thrift store has your back with these five easy costumes that are readily available anywhere you go. They’re cost-efficient for any person on a budget and a great way to shop sustainably for an outfit you may only wear once.

Hippie

One amazing thing about thrift stores is that you can always expect to find retro-styled clothes. As one generation is falling out of love with their disco pants, the next is bringing these styles back. Because of this, you can find a decade themed look almost instantly. Going for patterned pants or maxi skirts with a simple top can create this effortless hippie look, although braids and funky glasses would help seal the deal. 

Devil

While this costume is overdone, shopping for it at a thrift store guarantees a unique twist on it. Plus, there’s an abundance of red pieces waiting to be worn in devilish ways. Some stores may even have Halloween accessories to pair with your pieces like devil horns or even a red wig. You can also play around with accessories if the devil isn’t your vibe, like adding red wings to resemble Cupid.

Angel

Every devil needs an angel and just like the devil, this costume is easy to find at almost every thrift store. White dresses are easy to come by thrifting and even skirts or tops if you don’t like to wear dresses. Some thrift stores will have prepackaged wings available, so if an angel isn’t the look you’re going for maybe being a butterfly or bee is. 

Morticia Adams

If you’re sexy and you know it then meet your next Halloween costume. Morticia Adams is a Halloween icon and like the last two costumes, this monochromatic fit is easy to put together. Pairing black on black gives you the signature look and this particular thrift store even sold Addams Family styled wigs, while most will have some variation of a black wig.

Prepackaged Costumes

If you aren’t in the mood to hunt down a costume in the clothing section, many thrift stores will have a collection of used prepackaged costumes. The best part about this is that you’re getting costumes that are probably still sold at the popular Halloween stores for extremely cheap. Not to mention they have iconic Halloween costume touches to them that will make you stand out.

While most of these ideas may seem basic when you are shopping last minute it’s easier to find simple costumes. Being creative and open-minded is key to hunting down these classic styles. The best part is that most of these pieces can be worn on everyday occasions so you’re getting a two-for-one deal. There’s no need to spend an arm and a leg on a costume you may only wear once. So, save your money this Halloween while also saving the earth by shopping secondhand.

Images: All images provided by the author.

Shelby is a junior majoring in Advertising and Public Relations at the University of Central Florida. She spends most of her days on Netflix, thrifting, planning trips she can't afford, and hanging with her friends. When she's in the mood for some me-time she can be found cuddling her two cats
UCF Contributor