This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As we excitedly usher in 2021 in a bid to get as far away as possible from the dumpster fire that was 2020, it’s important not to get lost in the thrill of a new start. If there’s anything we learned in 2020, it’s that you can never know what to expect. There’s no telling what 2021 will bring, but there are a few things we can always remind ourselves of to ensure a smooth start to this new year.

COVID-19 Isn’t Going Away

This is a reality all of us have to come to terms with. No matter how much we try to fool ourselves through grocery store visits or questionable lunch dates with friends, COVID isn’t going away any time soon — especially not with the recent appearance of a new COVID strain. It’s important to remain vigilant and continue to practice safe habits that help prevent the spread. Masks, copious amounts of handwashing and STAYING HOME should be everyone’s priority this year.

Set Realistic Goals

Let’s be real — we seriously have no idea what 2021 will bring. With that in mind, make sure you’re not setting crazy, out of reach goals for yourself. You’ll only end up stressing yourself out and that’s the last thing you want. Set realistic goals that are doable in the middle of a pandemic and don’t be worried about changing and adjusting them as you go.

Productivity Doesn’t Define Your Worth

Yes, setting goals for yourself is important, but so is understanding that your productivity doesn’t define your worth. No one expects you to be working and creating and doing things every day, and you shouldn’t expect that from yourself either. There will be unproductive days and days where nothing really gets done. That’s okay. Give yourself some credit for having the drive to work through a pandemic.

Celebrate Your Little Victories

Every success is worth celebrating. Let yourself indulge in the happiness that comes with each of your accomplishments, no matter how big or small. You might have found it hard to stay productive and do all the things you wanted to last year — I know I definitely did — which is why it’s more important than ever to be proud of the things we do accomplish this year!

Cut Yourself Some Slack

And above all, don’t forget that we’re literally in the middle of a pandemic. Cut yourself some slack. It’s understandable that things won’t always go the way we want them to or that life might throw you more curveballs than you expect. Don’t be too hard on yourself! Take whatever comes your way in stride and don’t feel bad if you find yourself struggling — you’re certainly not alone.

While none of us know what awaits in 2021, these few reminders will definitely prove useful when the going gets tough.

Eda is a senior at the University of Central Florida majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. She spends her time like any other 21 year old girl would—eating good food, petting stray cats, and advocating for the Oxford comma. Seriously, you should use it. She aspires to travel the world one day and loves artists like BTS, Harry Styles, and Rex Orange County.
UCF Contributor