5 Iconic Movies From the 2000’s You Probably Forgot Existed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There’s no denying that the 2000s was one of the best eras for movies: Cinderella Story, Mean Girls, Legally Blonde and so much more. But in the midst of all the burn books and bend and snaps, it seems that some of my personal favorite movies from the 2000s were forgotten about. Here are five underrated and iconic movies from the 2000s you probably forgot existed.

Sleepover

I blame this movie for my unrealistic expectations of how sleepovers with my girlfriends would go. Nevertheless, this is still one of my all-time favorite feelgood movies from the 2000s. A group of pre-teens get themselves into a scavenger hunt to win more than just treasure — they want the prime lunch spot at their future high school. Throughout the night they laugh, cry and learn more about themselves than they ever thought they would.

Bride Wars

This film has everything you could ask for in a chick flick. Humor, friendship and two legends — Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson, of course. The two best friends are ecstatic to be engaged at the same time, something they’ve dreamt about since they were kids. This dream soon turns into a nightmare when their weddings accidentally get booked for the same day. The two besties spend the movie battling out whose wedding will be the best, and it’s truly a cinematic masterpiece.

What a Girl Wants

Old school Amanda Bynes — does it get any better than that? An American 16-year-old travels to England to finally meet her dad, also known as — to her surprise — Lord Henry Dashwood. She must navigate this new world of ball gowns and diamonds in order to bond with her father and have the connection she’s always wanted.

How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days

I’d be lying if I said this movie didn’t make me want to move to New York to become a journalist with my own ‘How To’ column in a magazine. In an effort to prove a point to her (yet again) heartbroken best friend, Andie decides to write a piece on how to lose a guy in 10 days. But unfortunately, the guy she chooses to experiment on happens to have gotten himself into a bet to make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. Their once ‘easy’ plans have now become a challenge as they both try to follow through on their promises. 

Freaky Friday

Mean Girls isn’t Lindsay Lohan’s only iconic movie from the 2000s. Teenage Anna and her mother Tess just can’t seem to see eye to eye — that is, until they’re forced to walk in each other’s shoes for a whole day. The switch turns their worlds upside down, to say the least, as they come to realize what it’s like to live a day in each other’s lives.

It’s probably clear that I’m a big film fan, especially for these underrated gems. I’m always up to see a new movie, but I never say no to watching a 2000s classic. Next time you’re in search of a flick for your girls’ night in, make sure to rewatch these forgotten films!Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Kristin is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying advertising and public relations. She loves cats, makeup, shopping, chocolate and all things The Office or Friends related. When she has free time (rare but it happens occasionally) you can catch her eating sushi, watching old vines or spending time with her friends. She enjoys writing about beauty, fashion, lifestyle and girl power. You can keep up with her on all her socials linked below!
UCF Contributor