This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, and Hocus Pocus playing practically 24/7 on Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween, it’s important to recognize other iconic witches. As great as the Sanderson sisters are, these HWIC are seriously overshadowed.

Sabrina Spellman, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina – Kiernan Shipka

The Netflix reboot of this series had many excited to see what direction the show would go in. After two chapters, it’s safe to say the show has been a hit. Shipka’s portrayal of Sabrina perfectly encapsulates the character’s loving and innocent nature, while also reminding others that if you cross her or her loved ones, she’s a force to be reckoned with.

Marnie Piper, Halloweentown – Kimberly J. Brown, Sara Paxton

The whole Marnie switch aside, it’s safe to say that Halloweentown was the best thing Disney ever did for the Halloween season. Marnie probably convinced an entire generation of girls that it was possible they were secretly a witch… no? Just me? Her optimism and bigger-than-life personality made her all the more driven to make the most of her powers.

Sally & Gillian Owens, Practical Magic – Sandra Bullock & Nicole Kidman

These sisters are quite possibly the ones who defined the term ride-or-die. These girls have to go together on the list because, quite frankly, they’d be lost without one another. If you haven’t seen this ‘90s flick, do yourself a favor—it has the perfect mix of sisterhood, suspense, love and Halloween vibes.

Bee, The Babysitter – Samara Weaving

A bit more serious than the other witches, she’s the Head Bee in Charge. Yes, more high schoolers than intended died, but it really wasn’t supposed to go that way. Weaving’s acting made it hard not to fall under her spell along with the other characters. Her “don’t mess with me” attitude, paired with an ancient book of spells, made her a force to be reckoned with… and possibly even unkillable.

Cordelia Foxx, American Horror Story: Coven – Sarah Paulson

Out of all of Paulson’s characters, this one has proven to be a fan favorite. She’s THE Supreme and has shown that along with her coven by her side, she can stop the Antichrist from fulfilling the Apocalypse. Her Second Sight and other gifted abilities have made her into quite possibly the strongest witch in recent pop culture. All of this, paired with her genuine personality and undying love for her fellow witches, makes her unstoppable.

This is by no means shade to the Sanderson sisters—I may or may not be playing Bette Midler’s “I Put a Spell on You” right now. All I’m saying is that these girls didn’t let some unmagical virgin, his kid sister, and a cat kill them.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Stephanie is a senior studying advertising/public relations and is pursuing a minor in psychology at the University of Central Florida. As a self-proclaimed bookworm and movie enthusiast, she is in search of the perfect book/movie for every occasion. If not studying in a coffee shop, she can be found with friends exploring Orlando and checking places off their bucket list. You can find her on Instagram @steviewigles
UCF Contributor