5 Fun Activities To Safely Celebrate Halloween During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

For many of us, Halloween is one of our favorite holidays, and we always look forward to hanging out with our friends and celebrating. This year, Halloween is going to look a little different. Although this can be disappointing, there are still so many fun and safe activities to do this Halloween with your family, roommates or a couple of friends that you feel safe around. Here are some ideas: 

Bake Some Halloween Desserts 

Halloween has always been about the sweets, and this year doesn’t have to be any different. There are a ton of cute Halloween desserts all over the internet. You can get as creative as you want, like with these spooky cupcakes, or go with the classic Pillsbury Halloween cookies. The options are endless!

Watch Halloween Movies

Get your roommates or family together for a movie marathon. Scary movies are a great way to get in the Halloween mood. If scary movies aren’t your thing, there are so many great must-see Halloween movies, including Hocus PocusHalloweentownThe Nightmare Before Christmas and The Addams Family

Carve Pumpkins

Pumpkin carving is a classic Halloween activity, and luckily, it’s one that can be safely done. This is even something you can do outside, to be even safer. There are tons of carving templates you can buy at stores or free downloads you can get on the internet, so get creative!

Decorate

It’s always fun to decorate your room or apartment for holidays, especially this year since most of these Halloween activities will be done at home. Get your roommates and grab some fun fall or Halloween decorations to make your apartment feel festive! There are so many options at your local dollar store or Target; some of my favorites are ceramic and plush pumpkins, pumpkin-scented candles, and fall-themed decorative pillows.

Go to a Pumpkin Patch

If you’re up for it, go to a pumpkin patch! Before going, make sure it’s outdoors and enforces social distancing and masks. One great option in the Orlando area is Southern Hill Farms in Clermont. They have a pumpkin patch, sunflower picking and a ton of food options, like these apple cider donuts. This is a super fun fall activity to do with your roommates, friends, or SO! 

Halloween will, without a doubt, be very different this year — while staying safe is the number one priority, that doesn’t mean it has to be boring. 

Ashley is a senior at the University of Central Florida majoring in Communications with minors in Mass Media and Spanish. She's a lover of animals, plants, and good food. When she isn't writing or doing homework you can find her spending way too much time on TikTok, cooking, or looking for a new houseplant.
UCF Contributor