February Calendar Design
February Calendar Design
Alexia Sparks, Studio Alexia
Life > Experiences

5 February Holidays You Can Celebrate Instead of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s already the second month of the year, which means it’s time for countless reminders that Valentine’s Day is soon. Nobody’s social media feed is safe — whether it’s celebrities and close friends boasting their relationships or brands boosting their sales with lovey-dovey ads. Valentine’s Day can be a polarizing holiday, which is why I’ve curated this list of five cute holidays that still spread the love — just in different ways.

harry Styles’s Birthday — February 1
One Direction Kiss GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Our king’s birthday may have been the first day of February, but there’s no reason why you can’t celebrate all month long! There are tons of ways to enjoy this holiday, like writing a strongly-worded letter to the government to make Harry Styles Day a nationally recognized holiday. Okay, maybe don’t do that. But you can celebrate in plenty of other ways! You can go all out by throwing a Harry Styles-themed party with your besties and dressing up in his most iconic outfits or you can celebrate privately with a playlist of every song that Harry has blessed us with — just promise you won’t forget his One Direction era hits.

Make A Friend Day — February 11

Who says February has to be all about romantic love? Celebrate platonic connections with National Make A Friend Day, which falls on the Friday before Valentine’s Day. Hit up the person you’ve had a friend crush on for weeks and finally make plans with them! Making friends can be scary, but it’s more important than ever in this time of isolation. Be bold and be yourself and you’re sure to make a good impression.

Galentine’s Day — February 13

What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas. 

Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation

The twin sister of Valentine’s Day that we all secretly like hanging out with more: Galentine’s Day. Made popular by Leslie Knope, the ultimate gal pal, this day is all about celebrating the women in your life who you love and appreciate. What’s better is Galentine’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, so you can celebrate accordingly with a cute Sunday brunch moment with your besties! No matter your relationship status, you can undoubtedly celebrate Galentine’s Day.

Love Your Pet Day — February 20

Calling all pet moms! Sunday, February 20 is National Love Your Pet Day. On this day, you can reciprocate all the love your pet undyingly gives to you. Give them their favorite treat, buy them a cute new sweater or take them for an extra-long walk to show them how much they’re loved by you. I don’t make the rules, but plant moms are definitely included in this holiday. Speak some extra words of affirmation to your plant or fur babies for Love Your Pet Day and let the love grow.

Strawberry Day — February 27

Potentially my favorite holiday on this list, Strawberry Day is the perfect day to treat yourself! Go to the closest grocery store and stock up on all the chocolate dip that’s on clearance from Valentine’s Day, a fresh box of juicy strawberries, some sprinkles and enjoy. Who says you need a romantic partner to enjoy chocolate-dipped strawberries in February? Put on your favorite show or take a bath, and feed yourself strawberries like you’re a Greek goddess. You deserve it.

Valentines Day Heart GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Whether you simply don’t care about Valentine’s Day or you hate it with a burning passion, that’s not the only good day in store for you in February. There are plenty more holidays to enjoy, and you can even check out this list of fun holidays if you want to keep the celebration going all month long. Happy February, and don’t forget to write 02 in the month slot when you’re writing the date!

I'm Alexia (or Lexi!) and I study English Literature and Editing & Publishing at UCF. I'm also the founder and chief designer of Studio Alexia Brand Design! I love Animal Crossing, Studio Ghibli movies, Ariana Grande, and my dog Chloe :')