This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When fall finally rolls around, I can’t think of anything better to do than read. When the sun goes down a little earlier and the air gets cooler, the opportunity comes to open your imagination up to something new. Throughout the months, these five books are the ones that have stood out and given me fall vibes, all the way down to my favorite book of the entire year.

Verity by Colleen Hoover

If any of you have read Colleen Hoover’s books, you know that Verity is a branch away from Hoover’s usual writing. Verity follows an author, Lowen, finishing a book series for another author who was severely hurt in an accident. While working at the original author’s house, Lowen uncovers dark secrets hidden in the writer’s office and questions if what she’s seeing is real or if there’s a more sinister plan at hand. This is definitely darker and more disturbing than other Colleen Hoover books, so make sure to read trigger warnings.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

If you want to be spooked and held in place by suspense, this is the book for you. The Silent Patient tells the story of an artist named Alicia and how she committed a crime that got her admitted into a mental institution. In the institution, she finds herself working with a therapist who is obsessed with uncovering her motive for the crime. The plot twist in this book will knock your socks off and leave you shocked. This is another good, sinister read for the spooky season.

The Gift by Edith Eger

The Gift is one of the best self-help books I’ve ever read. Edith Eger is a Holocaust survivor, making her perspective even more respected and valid. Each chapter of this book covers different issues that people encounter, and Edith includes how she’s helped her own therapy clients through similar issues. At the end of every chapter, there’s a guide to tackling the problem on your own. I’ve never read such a user-friendly self-help book.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This book was a breath of fresh air. This story follows infamous Hollywood star, Evelyn Hugo, focusing on her marriages throughout the decades. Evelyn’s character is so complex and showed the difficulty of love in the spotlight. Evelyn was so incredibly driven and got what she wanted by any means. The complexities and the heartache of this story made me tear up and want to read this over and over, not to mention there was also a shocking plot twist.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is the perfect mix of fantasy, mystery and romance. I truly have never read a book so amazing and intricate. V.E. Schwab carefully crafted every single character in this book, making it an absolute masterpiece. Starting in eighteenth-century France, Addie LaRue is torn between living the life she was born into or forging a new path for herself. Ultimately, she chooses the latter, and her journey is one that you will love and want to re-read over and over.

Baylee is a Senior at the University of Central Florida, originally from Clearwater, Florida. She is a Political Science major, with two minors in Legal Studies and Diversity and Social Inequality. When she's not figure skating, you can find her reading a book on campus and drinking Starbucks.