5 Black & White Films To Get You Through Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Are you sick of scrolling through Netflix and only seeing the same cringe-worthy, oddly obscure horror movies that barely give you a scare? Your friendly neighborhood film nerd is here to help! Don’t let the black-and-white visuals or necessary subtitles scare you off; these 5 films feature iconic villains, practical effects and some of the spookiest storylines.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Starting off with a personal favorite, this German expressionist film is considered the earliest example of a horror film. Yup, as in, it invented the genre. The plot follows Dr. Caligari, a sadistic magician and his somnambulist exhibition at a local fair. If you’re looking for experimental set design, a chilling score, and a seriously unsettling antagonist, look no further. It’s available to watch on YouTube.

The Hands of Orlac (1924)

Made by the same director of Caligari, this silent film is just as spooky. A famous pianist, Orlac, loses his hands in an accident and receives a new pair of hands that once belonged to a brutal criminal. You can imagine the chaos that ensues. It’s available to watch on Amazon Prime.

Psycho (1960)

Would it be a horror movie listicle without mentioning Alfred Hitchcock? Everyone knows the iconic shower scene, but the rest of this film is just as worthy of acclaim. It quite literally redefined the horror film genre. Psycho follows Norman Bates, a deranged man whose motel becomes the place of nightmares; it’s available to watch on Hulu.

Nosferatu (1922)

Another film of the German expressionism movement, Nosferatu is an impressive combination of practical effects, social commentary, and one of the most iconic movie monsters of all time. You can watch this one on Amazon Prime.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

George Romero’s classic zombie flick is another that made waves in the genre. Night of the Living Dead was one of the first horror films to be set in a suburb, making the fear feel that much more real. Don’t let the independent label and low budget fool you — this film (and the 5 sequels) will have you squirming in your seat. It’s available to watch on Amazon Prime.

Don’t bother scrolling to the end of every streaming service’s horror category — these films will deliver the scares you’re after while also introducing you to the wonders of historical and foreign films. 

Ashley is a social media guru, writer, and film lover. Originally from Chicago, she is now studying Entertainment Management at the University of Central Florida. When she’s not online, Ashley enjoys baking and matcha lattes.
UCF Contributor