This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Rolling Stone has been making a definitive list of the best albums of all time since the early 2000s. While “The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time” list was made pretty recently, it’s definitely one of the most controversial. This year, in the height of music, Rolling Stone decided to completely renovate and update their list. While there were many agreeable albums on the list, I think it was missing more than a few contemporary albums to really solidify its credibility. 

‘Four’ by One Direction

Look, I’m already bitter this album wasn’t nominated for a Grammy, but c’mon. This album deserves to be in the top albums ever. The album, written and recorded prior to Zayn Malik’s departure, showcases the versatility the One Direction boys have both lyrically and musically. Not only does it include fun pop songs that are reminiscent of their past, but it also includes rock elements, along with two beautiful ballads. And honestly, “Fireproof” in and of itself deserves six Grammys just for existing.

Notable songs: “Fireproof,” “Where Do Broken Hearts Go,” “Ready to Run”

‘Suga’ by Megan Thee Stallion

I think Megan Thee Stallion is just an amazing artist overall. Everything she touches turns to gold, which is why Suga deserves a place on the list. Suga conveys a lot about who Megan is: it’s authentic, bold and just overall fun. Her lyrics are brutally honest, while her overall sound is melodious. Also, the fact that Suga was released after the lawsuit with her label 1501 Certified Entertainment really makes it all worth it.

Notable songs: “Ain’t Equal,” “Captain Hook,” “Rich”

‘Pure Heroine’ by Lorde

Who knows it better than Lorde? I’ll admit, I was super excited to see that Lorde’s second album, Melodrama, received a shoutout (although, at #460? Really?). But I was really surprised to see that Pure Heroine wasn’t on the list. Pure Heroine was, well, a cultural reset. Lorde got her first Grammy because of this album. There are distressed teens everywhere around the world, listening to “Ribs” on repeat until they can feel emotion. Don’t even get me started on Lorde’s ability to describe the loneliness of being an outsider while growing up and feeling like you’re wasting your life away. Sigh. I’m convinced the reason this album wasn’t on the list was because of it’s connection to the juvenile existence.

Notable songs: “Ribs,” “A World Alone,” “The Love Club”

‘- Ugh, those feels again’ by Snoh Aalegra

I have a great feeling this album will one day be considered a classic. Something about the soulful nostalgia that rings through the melody and the soft, but very intrinsic, vocals make Ugh a perfect album. The R&B and soul mix make it feel almost cinematic. It tells a story and lets you fill in all the details, and that’s what truly makes an album great. 

Notable songs: “Whoa,” “Find Someone Like You,” “You”

Wild World by Bastille

Okay, I admit this one might be niche, but hear me out: an indie-pop band highlighting the catastrophic state of the world but, like, in a fun way. With a total of 19 songs completing the album, this album is a personal favorite because not only does it almost feel cinematic with the samples of film dialogue in the beginning (and sometimes the middle) of songs, but it feels like a comforting hug. The lyrics tell a story in such a vague but complete way that I listen to a song and feel transported back to 2016. (Although I guess that’s not always a good thing.)

Notable songs: “Good Grief,” “Oil on Water,” “The Anchor”

Of course, no list arguing about music will be 100% correct, but I think these were some notable albums Rolling Stone missed that could’ve perfected their list. It also doesn’t help that none of the albums in the top 10 are from the last decade, which is certainly wrong, but I digress. While there are plenty more albums that should be considered, this would be a good place to start.

Part-time pop music enthusiast and full-time bookworm, Kiara is a senior hoping to graduate with a bachelor's in ad/pr and sociology. Her passion for the arts, both written and unwritten, has led her to frequent concerts, museums, and even gardens. Kiara hopes that her dedication to both writing and music will begin her media career in the music industry.
UCF Contributor