This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Growing up, it was easy to flip through channels and find dozens of run-of-the-mill, male-centric cartoons. Ben 10, American Dragon: Jake Long, and even Spongebob Squarepants failed to give me the sense of female empowerment that I arguably needed at a young age. However, there were a handful of shows that stood out; not only did they feature strong female leads, but their personal impact and insight on girls and women paved the way for animation in the decades to come.

1. Totally Spies

Although I didn’t one day anticipate working for a secret organization that would whisk me away on missions at any given moment, it was humorous to watch the three protagonists of Totally Spies deal with it. Sam, Clover, and Alex were high school BFFs who juggled school, work, and just about anything else teenagers think is a ‘big deal’. Always armed with the latest spy tech (i.e. a compact mirror that doubled as an evidence analyzer), these three girls taught me that it was possible to be both fashionable and fierce.

2. Kim Possible

With a live-action adaptation in the works, a new generation of viewers will be exposed to Kim Possible, a cheerleader and freelance agent. Accompanied on action-packed missions by her best-friend-turned-boyfriend Ron Stoppable, audiences watched the duo navigate high school all the way up until graduation. The Disney Channel show promoted feminism by including a cast of racially diverse female characters and shaped Kim up to be a role model for girls worldwide. Hopefully, the show’s legacy will translate well to current viewers, and people will be humming “Call Me, Beep Me” on the streets once again.

3. My Life as a Teenage Robot

Jenny Wakeman was your typical girl next door with one distinct difference: she was a robot. Built with the appearance and mentality of a 16-year-old, Jenny was tasked with protecting Earth with the help of her human best friend, Brad, and Brad’s little brother, Tuck. At the same time, however, she sought to live out a relatively normal “human” life. Jenny had to balance the troubles of high school drama queens and robotic evil forces, but perhaps her greatest struggle was with female and teenage identity. Quite literally configured to be a teenage girl, Jenny often questioned what it meant to be either while also exploring her meaning as a mechanized heroine. This internal debate potentially resonated with girls who were questioning what society expected of them, something other cartoons of the time wouldn’t dare to accomplish.

4. Danny Phantom

No, titular character Danny Fenton was not female and neither was his ghostly persona. Still, that didn’t stop this Nickelodeon cartoon from hosting its fair share of female roles. Sam Manson was a visionary; she challenged feminine norms and constantly fought for her individuality. Along with Sam, Danny Phantom also featured: Jazz Fenton (Danny’s older sister who aspired to go to Yale), Maddie Fenton (Danny’s mom who more often than not outwitted her husband), Valerie Gray (a ghost hunter who didn’t deal with anyone’s idiocy), and a slew of female ghostly enemies who proved to be quite the challenge. Whether playing the hero or the villain, Danny Phantom’s female characters performed spectacularly.

5. Winx Club

Last but certainly not least, Winx Club wasn’t originally on any of the three big children-geared networks (Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network), but its mark was left on audiences worldwide. An Italian-penned cartoon, Winx Club first arrived in America on 4Kids before Nickelodeon later acquired the rights for a re-dub. Either way, the show kept its focus on one central theme: friendship. No matter the enemy, this group of fairies overcame it all by sticking together. They proved that fairies weren’t the dainty mythical creatures society made them out to be. Winx Club made me believe in what they called ‘the power of winx’, or really, the strength of the bonds women form with each other.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Pamela was a senior at the University of Central Florida and earned her degree in writing and rhetoric with a minor in creative writing. She currently works as an editor at Full Sail University and freelance writes and edits for The Direct. When she isn't typing away on her laptop, you can find her playing Stardew Valley or at your local The 1975 concert. Her heart belongs to her three cats, and her makeup inspiration is Sam Manson from Danny Phantom. You can check out all of her concert videos on her Instagram, @pamelagores.
Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!