4 Ways to Enhance Your Instagram Strategy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Branding and social media are incredibly important and valuable in the field of communications. Whether you are just starting to explore social media or have actively used it for years, there’s much more to your account than aimless scrolling. Developing an effective Instagram strategy will not only showcase your brand but help you make connections and learn new information.

Creating Content

When developing an Instagram strategy, content is king. There are several ways that you can draw upon creativity. This may include relaxing and letting your thoughts wander, spending time outside or reflecting on past experiences. You can also gain inspiration from other accounts or from previous posts.

The most important part of developing content is to determine your voice and the interests of your audience. You must know who you are and what you stand for, but this must also tie in with what the audience wants to see. Additionally, content must follow your brand and accurately reflect who you are.

Some content ideas can include lifestyle pictures, a look into your workspace, ways you find inspiration or the tools you use to amplify your brand and make it your own.

Developing Captions

Captions are the ultimate way to exemplify your brand voice. They can also complement and enhance photos. In order to create your captions, think about certain words that you use more frequently than others. This defines who you are and the language you use.

Another note to keep in mind is making sure you capture your audience’s attention using captions. You want them to continue reading and engaging with your content. If you run out of caption ideas, step away from the visuals of Instagram and use a notes app to draft ideas.

Styling Photos

Styling photos is very important on Instagram because of how visual the platform is. Determine the mood and story you’re trying to tell. There are several factors that play into the styling of photos, some of which include the camera angles, colors, and backdrops.

One method of achieving the right photo is to create a shot list. These lists include: the shot number, shot description, subject, framing and props. Another way to create the photo you want is to make a backdrop. These should be kept simple, interesting and subtle and should support your story.

Staying Engaged

The last part of developing your Instagram strategy is to stay engaged with your followers. Spend time on Instagram engaging with others and intentionally building your community through likes, comments and shares.

Some other tips include avoiding automation tools and using authentic engagement instead. Hashtags are also great ways to build your community and engage with others, but use them strategically and sparingly.

Overall, Instagram is an effective tool that can be used to communicate with others, share interests and make new friends. Remember that starting from scratch may seem tedious, but you will soon get the hang of it. Keep working on your Instagram strategy, and soon you’ll be rocking the game.

Monique is a student studying Advertising/Public Relations with a minor in Political Science at the University of Central Florida. She avidly enjoys reading, writing, and being with friends and family. She is part of several organizations on campus that are helping her promote positive change and unleash her creativity.
UCF Contributor