4 Things That Only Floridians Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When it comes to states, Florida is often the butt-end of everyone’s jokes. We’re that state that literally sticks out, but there’s still plenty of sunshine here if you choose to find it. Here are some really cool things about Florida that you might not know.

We’re Not as Crazy as You Might Believe

From headlines like “Florida Men — 1 Disguised in Bull Costume — Allegedly Tried to Burn Down Ex-Boyfriend’s Home with Spaghetti Sauce” to “Florida Restaurant No Longer Allows ‘Monkey Mondays’ After Animal Bit 8-Year-Old Boy,” Florida seems like a wild place compared to the rest of the United States. However, the reality is that Florida only seems this way because we have open government laws. This means that since 1909, Florida made all government business public business, so anyone could have access to it if they went looking for it. Other states don’t have this practice, so the records are more private — which is probably why you won’t hear wild stories come out of many other states. Could you imagine the tea if places like D.C. had this practice?

Disney Adults

There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining on the edge of every day — especially when you know you can wake up and go to Disney World the next day. Yes, everyone makes fun of adult Floridians for going to Disney World, but it’s more fun when you’re an adult and you don’t have kids to hold. Plus, one of the great things about Florida is that you don’t have to pay a state income tax, which is what I would celebrate with a Dole Whip every day.

Tik Tok Crocs and Gators

While it’s not the most flattering thing to be known for, Florida often ends up in the news for various animal attacks. While sharks and black bears often make headlines, Florida has averaged seven unprovoked alligator attacks per year since records started being kept in 1948. That’s probably why the University of Florida adopted the alligator as a mascot. It also contributed to branding when the college developed a sports fuel drink that the nation now knows as Gatorade.

Space Exploration, Infinity and Beyond!

After living in Florida for nearly fifteen years, I’m used to a shuttle launch becoming breaking news during my regularly scheduled television programming. Home of the Kennedy Space Center, Florida has exhibits of NASA’s Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle Programs. Florida is so proud of its space history that they even adopted the area code 3-2-1 to Brevard county back in 1999, in reference to the countdown before launching a rocket. Blast off!

Hopefully, reading this article normalized Florida a little bit for you. If not, I hope that you at least learned a little something. There’s always something new to learn because Florida never ceases to amaze me.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kristi currently and MFA candidate at the University of Central Florida studying Creative Writing. A former resident at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, she loves pop culture, food, and the humanity of people. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading a book, spending time with loved ones, or going on and on about how cute dogs are. Or, specifically, how her dog Damian is the most handsome angel boy.
UCF Contributor