This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Somehow, someway I managed to avoid Star Wars almost the entire 19 years I’ve been alive. It was up until this past August that I knew absolutely nothing about the franchise — save for the iconic “No, I am your father” line — when a certain someone came jumbling along and plopped down on my couch with the intent to enrich me with the saga. No, not Jar Jar Binks, although that would have been more interesting. My boyfriend decided it was time I learned everything, and I mean everything. We started at the very beginning with the prequel trilogy and have been watching the movies and accompanying TV series in a linear fashion. 

While I haven’t worked my way through all the content yet (the series Star Wars: The Clone Wars has consumed a good amount of time and I highly suggest watching it if you haven’t), I’ve grown an attachment to the characters and the franchise and I’m finally realizing just why there’s this absolute chaos that follows the name. 

With the final trailer for the last film in the Skywalker Saga, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, being recently released I felt inspired to create a list of lessons I’ve gotten out of the series. Here are four things to take away from Star Wars:

Not everyone sees things the way you do 

Everyone comes from different backgrounds and has had different experiences. Sure, this seems easy to remember, but it’s just as easy to get caught up in your feelings when someone doesn’t treat a situation with the same importance or see it in the same light that you do. Most people feel justified in being the way they are and you can’t really change that, even if you do chase them with a lightsaber through the middle of a battle-stricken planet. 

Find your balance

We all have the potential to be amazing and create world-stopping things. At the same time, we can also manifest the same negative energy that fuels villainy. Know yourself and find that balance. Take time to learn who you are, hone in your abilities and breathe. 

Surround yourself with the right people

Part of finding your balance is having balance in your life. Not everyone around you has your best interests at heart. Pay attention to how some people might pay more attention to certain aspects of your life or only care when it’s convenient for them. Remember those people, and don’t let them take advantage of you. It’s easy to be blinded by what you think is someone’s light. 

Always have hope

Just a little spark of hope can make a huge difference. You having hope can fuel that same fire in others and ultimately create something that can’t be resisted. You have the potential to do anything and, as cheesy as it sounds, believing in yourself (even just a little bit) is key. 

There’s a multitude of lessons that can be learned from Star Wars and new ones you can learn from each watch — that’s the best part about watching movies. Hopefully, with this last film, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, we’ll keep learning! 

You can share the lessons you’ve learned from Star Wars with me on Twitter!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Krysten is a senior at UCF studying Advertising & Public Relations as well as Political Science. She's a lover of women empowerment, gardening, fashion, content creation, & the oxford comma. In addition to being a staff writer at Her Campus at UCF, she is also the chapter's Graphic Designer as well as an intern at Her Campus Nationals. When she isn't keeping up with the latest social media trends or improving her graphic design skills you can find her tending to her houseplant collection. Connect with Krysten on Instagram, Twitter, & LinkedIn.
UCF Contributor