4 Reasons You Should Vote in the Upcoming Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The 2020 presidential election is fast approaching. It’s so important that young voters realize how critical it is that they vote in this election. There’s an endless list of reasons why you should vote, but here are just four of them:

It will affect you a lot more in four years than it does now.

Some people have the luxury of not having to worry about how they’ll pay for next month’s rent or how they’ll afford healthcare. Because many students have the support of their parents, they don’t have such responsibilities to worry about in their everyday lives. However, you’ll likely have to consider these expenses and others within the next four years after you graduate. It’s important to consider what lies ahead for the next four years and how each candidate will affect the future.

Do not forfeit your voice.

Voting gives a voice to the people of this country. It’s your right and your duty to use that voice. We’re currently living in a country that’s more divided than ever, so now is the time to use your voice and vote for the candidate you believe in.

Young people have the power to enact real change.

Our generation is much more diverse and open-minded than a lot of the generations before us. We have the ability to make a real difference in the lives of future generations after us. Many young people have more of an ability to embrace diversity and change, which is why we have such a collectively powerful voice.

It’s so easy to get educated.

Many people don’t vote because they don’t feel like they have enough knowledge of politics to cast a vote. No, you shouldn’t vote for a candidate if you haven’t taken the time to understand what they stand for or what their plans are. However, this excuse becomes increasingly less valid every day because of how accessible this information is to us. It’s as simple as reading the news in the morning, looking at Twitter, Googling information, and asking people around you. Being educated is a choice you have to make, but it’s not a challenge.

If you haven’t already, I hope this gives you the encouragement you need to go out and vote! Your voice is your right. Use it!

Mandie is a Senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a degree in writing and rhetoric as well as a certificate in editing and publishing. To keep up with her, follow her on Instagram @mandiemccann.
UCF Contributor