This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

On January 4, 2021, I finally made the decision to shave my head. I’d been thinking about it for a while, but I wanted to enjoy my bright pink hair one last time. In the ups and downs of my relationship with my hair, I found it was a necessary decision. So, here are 4 reasons why you should shave your head!

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Confidence

Although confidence is a subjective feeling for all, when stripping a socially-controlled beauty standard away from you, you’re bound to question your confidence. In the beginning, I shaved my head and looked like Mr. Clean. It was hilarious to me, but I quickly realized I was looked at by everyone, and the feedback that I would receive online was questionable, to say the least. After a while, you get used to it; you know how to be confident within yourself, regardless of whether you have hair or not.

Hair doesn’t matter

Hair is something that grows back. It naturally grows on the top of our heads, in different colors, textures and forms. But It doesn’t matter. As women, specifically, we’re taught that beauty is the utmost standard of living. We must maintain this status of maintenance, and make our hair look the best it can be. I’m here to say that this is utter BS. Even if you don’t want to shave your hair, do whatever you want to it. I promise, it’s amazing.

Everyone should do it once

It’s extremely empowering, and so freeing. As women, and even men, there are so many strings that come with upholding beauty standards. With hair, those are overwhelming. When it’s gone, you have this sense of freedom, this sense of power, and even a sense of rebellion. You’re stripping yourself of everything you’ve ever known with your hair — isn’t that phenomenal?

Style opportunities

Being bald definitely affects your style choices! It opens up a lot more room for creative outlets and playful choices. With makeup, I have more space to experiment. And with fashion, I like to wear brighter colors and different styles, because it won’t clash with a hairstyle! If this is your calling, you’ll love a shaved head.

There are millions of reasons why everyone should shave their head, but above all, the most important reason is that you want to do it. Now go, do it!

Lover of all things creative! Class of 2024, and majoring in special education. Makeup artistry is my passion!
UCF Contributor