This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the beginning of a new semester comes more classes, less time to enjoy re-watching “The Office” and more time spent doing the thing we like least: studying. If you’re anything like me, cramming every study guide possible a few days before a test, then you probably know how important it is to have the perfect hype song to motivate you through this adventure (cue “Mo Bamba”). While I won’t be sharing my “let’s get hype” playlist on Spotify, I will share some of my favorite mellow beats that help make studying a little bit more bearable and efficient for me. Here are some R&B artists that are sure to get you in all the feels so that you’ll be prepared to cry way before grades come out:

1. Alina Baraz & Galimatias

If you’ve ever wondered what the intersection between your whimsical fantasies and everything you love about chill beats is, it’s Alina & Galimatias’ music. Their music will transport you to another world, where everything is just as perfect as them!

Songs you need to listen to: “Fantasy,” “Drift,” “Can I”

2. Ravyn Lenae

Ravyn Lenae is easily one of my favorite artists to listen to (Don’t tell the others!). Her modern twist on 80s funk creates a fun, sultry atmosphere and her angelic voice makes you feel like you’ve taken a trip to Heaven and back.

Songs you need to listen to: “Spice,” “Closer (Ode to you),” “4 Leaf Clover”

3. Jorja Smith

I first listened to Jorja Smith on a YouTube channel called Colors and ever since then, I have become obsessed with her music. Her lyrics speak to me on a personal level, so much so that I find myself belting her music in the shower as if I were narrating my own life to the world.

Songs you need to listen to: “Fine Lines,” “On My Mind,” “Blue Lights”

4. Ari Lennox

Ari Lennox is an artist I recently discovered. Her music has a unique taste that’s sure to be stuck in your head way after you’re done studying. If you’re ever looking for a good blend between a jazzy beat and wind-down music, Ari is going to be your best friend!

Songs you need to listen to: “Backwood,” “Night Drive,” “Backseat”

Images: 1234

Manisha is currently a student at the University of Central Florida studying finance. She loves all things sweet and artsy. If she's not stuffing her face with the colorful ice cream or drawing pictures of her cat, then she's probably reading all things astrology or singing her heart away to all of her favorite R&B artists. Her dream is to be a CEO and have her own beauty brand focusing on natural, clean products that will transform the beauty industry!
UCF Contributor