4 Key Takeaways from Gillette’s New ‘The Best a Man Can Be’ Ad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you haven’t seen it already, Gillette released a controversial—yet extremely necessary—ad last week that highlights the toxic masculinity presented in today’s society. This brand made a bold move, considering most of its target audience for sales rely on the male population. Speaking up, doing the right thing, and expecting more from men is what this ad is portraying. It’s sad but predictable that asking men to be better—not just for women, but for other men and boys—is met with such hostility from people who believe the lie that cruel and uninviting behavior is part of a man’s natural makeup. 

If you haven’t already seen it, you can view it here.

1. Boys will be boys is NOT an excuse

Boys should not grow up with the idea that they can get away with wrongdoings and brush it off with “boys will be boys.” Some actions are inexcusable, and men, just like everyone else, need to understand that there are consequences for their actions.

2. Cat Calling is NOT wanted

Ask any woman if they enjoy walking home alone. Ask any woman if she feels flattered by the man that just screamed, “Damn girl,” as she walked past. Public sexual harassment is not flattering, it’s not a compliment and it is not wanted. This ad highlights this problem and gives men a better example to live up to.

3. Fighting is NOT the only way

Most grown adults know that aggressive behavior solves close to nothing. This ad shows men breaking up fights and teaching young men that this is not how we should solve problems. There are other ways than using strength and anger to deal with issues.

4. A lesson for young men

While watching this ad I noticed the underlying theme, which is to better the boys of today because they will be the men of tomorrow. Teaching and mentoring young adults and setting the example will help shape their attitudes for the future.

This ad has caused such a debate throughout all social media platforms. Being transparent and aware that these issues are presented in our society is key to fixing them. People that took this ad the wrong way are under the impression that Gillette clumped all men into one shameful group. However, the true purpose of this ad was to point out that men are taught from a young age that aggression, demeaning women and suppressing emotions are a normal part of masculinity. They see it on TV and hear it from other men and brush it off as “locker room talk.” Gillette’s ad celebrates and educates men to be aware, but most importantly to be better.

If this ad doesn’t speak to you, then take some advice from Terry Crews, because he says it best: “Men need to hold other men accountable.” Set the example for other men and speak up if you see something wrong.

“It’s only by challenging ourselves to do more that we can get closer to our best.”

Our men are capable of so much more.

Is this really the best a man can get?

Join the #MeToo movement.

Image: 1, 2, 3, 4, 56

Nicki Martinez is a senior here at UCF studying Advertising and Public Relations. She currently works at Chick-fil-A as the Assistant Marketing Director, so like most people, she has a passion for Chiken. She's obsessed with anything involving cats, coffee, and Taylor Swift. Her three favorite TV shows are: The Bachelor, The Office, and Friends. She loves to write about relationships, school, movies/tv, and of course- food. She firmly believes that you should never underestimate the power of a strong woman with coffee in one hand and confidence in the other. #GirlBoss! Feel free to follow her on Instagram at @Nickimartinez.
UCF Contributor