4 Inspiring Books to Read over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The end of the semester marks the temporary (or permanent) end of many things for many of us: no more classes, no more projects, no more tests, and no more reading textbooks that you’re not really interested in! One of the many wonderful perks of Winter Break is the time we finally have to get to read for enjoyment!

Winter is not only the perfect time to cozy up with a good book, but also work on bettering your mind, body, and spirit! Here are four remarkable, and inspirational books to read over Winter Break:

1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Now, you’ve probably seen the movie featuring Julia Roberts; but just as in most cases of book to movie adaptions, the book is always better! Elizabeth was once described as a “Carrie Bradshaw” who traveled the world for happiness, and that comparison certainly follows through! This book will inspire you to travel, maybe even to do yoga (it did for me), the true meaning of self-love and how it not only effects you, but everybody! You’ll be able to relate to so many of her thoughts!

1. Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis

While most 18 Year olds in the United States were focusing on college admissions, moving away from home, or getting their first job; Katie Davis wanted to become a mom. No, not just any mom, but an adoptive mom of thirteen children in Uganda, Africa. Her journey and heart to serve those in need will inspire you to do the same, transform your mind on how you see your own living standards, and what you can do to help in your own backyard!

1. The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

One quote that stuck out for me after reading The Help was “Wasn’t that the point of the book? For women to realize, we are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I’d thought.” True empathy towards other human beings in general is what will inspire you when reading The Help. The movie was phenomenal, and although one of the main female characters won an Oscar for it, the book is even more mind transforming and inspiring.

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

“To realize one’s personal destiny is a person’s only obligation.” From reader ranging from Julia Roberts, to even former President Bill Clinton; The Alchemist has inspired so many people across the world in more than 168 countries! As college students there are definitely days when it gets frustrating trying to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. In the story of a young boy traveling to Egypt to find a treasure, you will be able to see yourself in his journey, and learn about finding your own “Personal Legend”. Definitely a must read that you’ll be able to apply to all areas of your life!

Happy Reading!

Ligia Forbes is a student at the University of Central Florida, and a Her Campus UCF News Writer. Afro-latina, World Traveler, UNICEF Advocate,Big Sister, and lover of living life on purpose.
UCF Contributor