Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Clichés I’ve Accepted After Being Dumped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I was one of those girls who followed a boy to college. So naturally, instead of branching out, studying hard and making new friends, I spent my first two years of college playing house (sorry Mom). My fantasy life was going great, and I was the perfect “trophy wife” until he had the damn audacity to break up with me. After finding myself dumped, I realized I didn’t have to be in the dumps. I decided to embark on a journey, alone, to find a better sense of life. Here are the top four clichés I’ve witnessed and accepted in just two years since being kicked to curb.

(Spoiler alert: I’m glad he left me.)

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

All limitations exist in our minds. After a breakup, we tend to believe we won’t be able to overcome the pain of the losing someone we potentially saw a future with. This is true, but only if you believe it so. Any and all of our “limitations” are only located in our mind. We control the ability to find a will, and the way out will hit us before we know it. Amazing things can happen if we choose not to be miserable! 

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

You may be better off without your ex, but that does not negate all the good times you did have together. Even though my breakup left me a mess, I made it intentional to not see my life decisions in a negative light. So, when the seldom thought of the ex who dumped me pops into my mind, I smile and reminisce on the memories we shared together. This bittersweet feeling mixed with relief from forgiving him far beats any feelings of resentment or sadness.

Everything happens for a reason.

Over the past two years, I have traveled more than ever, spent time with my family, and reconnected with old friends. I look back on my life between now and then and I realize that the relationship was holding me back from so much growth. I also realize I gave that dude way too much credit. Everything does happen for a reason. Unfortunately, we never know when we’re going to find that reason out. 

There are plenty of fish in the sea.

So, he and I didn’t work out. I did date around for a bit after, but eventually, I decided to focus on school and getting a career. With my graduation arriving this summer, I can indeed say there are plenty of fish in the sea! He just happened to be the wrong fish, so to ensure that I didn’t catch another bad fish, I worked my gills off to leave the vulnerable state I was in. I wanted to put myself in a position to be around to right type of fish. The law of attraction is real! I think positive and better myself, that way when the moment comes, I am the actual catch! 

I was 20 years old when I congratulated myself on sleeping in my own bed for a month straight. It was then when I realized I had become a statistic. I was one of those suckers who didn’t know how to be alone. Seeking to change this, I made a pact to sleep in my own bed, alone, until I meet someone very special.

It’s been two years with no real luck yet; however, I’m grateful for the few things I’ve learned along the way. We are all exactly where we’re meant to be and doing exactly what we’re supposed to be doing. 

Images: 1, 2

Cescely is studying Health Service Administration at the University of Central Florida. She aims to make a difference by personally reducing hospital errors. Cescely has a knack for politics, popular culture, sexual equality, and nutrition. Some of Cescely's favorite things include the month of December, writing poetry, and feel good music.