This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Do you ever feel like your life is lacking a bit of spontaneity or feels stagnant? You don’t have to make tremendous life-altering decisions to get out of your comfort zone, nor do you have to push your boundaries (a note to myself to never stress cut my own hair at two o’clock in the morning). 

On a constant mission to self-growth, I challenged myself to do three small changes in my everyday life in order to push myself into unfamiliar grounds. 

1. Changes in My Wardrobe 

We all have that one outfit in our closet that we save for that one special occasion; there’s just never the “right time” to wear it. I love to idealize myself in these bold outfits and imagine myself turning heads when in public. Yet, when it comes down to leaving the house, I change into something more comfortable.

I wanted to stop waiting for the perfect day to start wearing all the outfits I wanted. So, I brought out the bright orange skirt that I love (still brand new). Bold colors represent the type of person I want to be and exude the confidence and energy I aim for: the type of girl who can pull it off not because she has the body for it (although she does), but because she has the confidence for it. 

2. Writing in My Journal 

I’m sure we’ve all heard the benefits of writing in journals and how all successful creatives and leaders keep one. But how important is it really? So I did some research on how much time we spend on our phones and according to ComScores 2017, the average American adult (18+) spends 2 hours, 51 minutes on their smartphone every day. Honestly, if you’re thinking what I’m thinking, it doesn’t seem like that’s a lot. But if you really sit down and digest it, that’s almost 3 hours a day. You could be doing something a bit more productive and valuable.

I decided that for every time I felt tempted to check my phone, I was going to crack open my journal and write down how I was feeling instead. Journaling and keeping record of your thoughts allows you to become self-aware. It’s incredible how writing in my journal made me want to change the way I spent my time. It allowed me to visualize my progress while letting my mind roam wild without boundaries. 

3. Interacting With People 

College can be a frustrating time, especially in a social aspect, where you almost feel suffocated. I used to be the type of person that waited until someone came and talked to me first. There’s really no problem with this introverted quality; however, I realized I’ve missed out on friendships throughout the years because I waited around for them to come.

I also changed the way I saw people who disagreed with me. I talked less and listened more. I asked more questions, despite how dumb I thought they were. And although it seems like a radical change in thought and behavior, it’s a change I hoped would reflect on the type of person I see myself becoming and want to be. So my two cents? Go out just a little bit more even if you’re scared you won’t have fun and ask more questions even if you’re scared the answer might be no. 

Making small changes in your everyday life habits is a way you can avoid getting stuck in a routine. It also encourages you to live a little more boldly. I live and breathe by this because doing one thing you fear every day pushes you to experience new challenges and forces you to see things from a fresh point of view. Write it down and repeat it with me: “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Eileen is a sophomore studying Social Sciences at the University of Central Florida. She's a lover of art and all it's strangest forms. Living in her multi-colored world, she finds solace in her writing, photography, and drawing. She is constantly redecorating her room to make it even more colorful and watching Ted Talks throughout the day. If you wish to see the world through her eyes follow her instagram @eileenzelaya !
UCF Contributor