3 Recipes To Treat Yourself And Friends This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Is it just me or has this semester been kicking your butt, too? I am obsessed with trying recipes, especially the ones that cater to my sweet tooth. The past two months of meeting deadline after deadline and studying for exams has stopped me from exploring one of my hobbies. These are recipes that will enhance the time you spend with your friends by the pool or a night in!

Fire Cracker Ice Pop 

1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered (1 1/2 cups)

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 pound blueberries (1 1/2 cups)

1 1/4 cups low-fat plain yogurt

Process:

In a food processor, puree strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar. Transfer to a small bowl. In processor, puree blueberries with 1 tablespoon sugar. In another small bowl, whisk together yogurt and 2 tablespoons sugar. Pour the 3 mixtures, alternating, into ten 3-ounce ice-pop molds, making 3 to 5 layers in each. With a skewer or thin-bladed knife, swirl mixtures together in an up-and-down motion. Insert ice-pop sticks and freeze until solid, 2 1/2 to 3 hours (or up to 1 week).

Cookies and Cream Popsicles 

Serves:  8 to 10 pops

14 chocolate wafer cookies, about 4 oz (125g) total weight

1/4 cup (2 oz/60g) superfine sugar

1/4 cup water (2 fl oz/60mL)

1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125mL) sour cream

1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60mL) whole milk

1 cup (8 fl oz/250mL) heavy cream

1 tsp vanilla extract 

Process:

Working in a small bowl, crumble the cookies to make pieces about the size of peas.

In a bowl, stir together the sugar and 1/4 cup (2fl oz/60mL) water until the sugar dissolves.  Stir in the sour cream, milk, cream, and vanilla.  Add the crumbled chocolate cookies and stir to mix.

If using conventional pop molds, divide the mixture across the molds.  Cover and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.  If using sticks, insert them into the molds when the pops are partially frozen, after about 1 hour, then freeze until solid, at least 3 more hours.

An alternative recipe of the alcoholic variety can be found here.

Blondies 

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:1 Cup plus 2 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour1 tsp of Baking Powder¼ tsp of Salt½ Cup of Brown Sugar ¼ Cup of Granulated Sugar1/3 Cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature½ tsp of Vanilla Extract1 Large Egg2 Tbsp of Sour Cream1/2 Cup of Chocolate Chips  

Note: I prefer blondies with less chocolate chips so you adjust to your liking.

Process:

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease an 8 by 8 baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, set aside. Add 2 tbsp of the flour to the chocolate chips and stir to make sure all the chocolate chips are coated in the flour.  Set aside.  Add the baking powder and salt to the remaining flour and set aside.In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugars, add the egg, vanilla and sour cream, mix until you have a smooth mixture. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine. Fold in your chocolate chip mixture and spread the batter evenly in your prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.

UCF Contributor