Style > Fashion

3 Convenient Ways to Make Fast Fashion Affordable for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Have you ever scrolled through your social media and come across cute, trendy outfits and styles that left you wanting to wear the same clothing as seen on top Instagram models and TikTok influencers? If this convinces you to start shopping right away, look no further than fast fashion — a type of fashion that produces clothing designs and accessories catered to the popular demands that are on the rise, while also offering said items at affordable prices. Fast fashion is well-favored in the sense that the large number of products being offered on the market are easily obtainable and designed to make you feel like you are a part of something more in relation to the brand and culture of the fashion and media industry at large. Affordability is a priority for fast fashion brands and businesses, although affordability can be interpreted differently among people. Here are three convenient ways to make fast fashion even more affordable for you than you think.

Use financial-friendly services such as Afterpay & Klarna.

Afterpay and Klarna are two of the most popular financial-friendly services that are used by consumers of products ranging from clothing and beauty to technology and home décor. Afterpay and Klarna are highly suggested forms of payment for those who cannot afford the total cost all at once. What makes these services extremely attractive to consumers is their flexibility of payments through an automatically installed payment plan. These payment plans are typically broken down into 4 payments of small amounts paid over a period of time — about 4–6 weeks depending on the total cost of a purchase. Using Afterpay and Klarna is simple and only requires an account to log in through their official site or app. Afterpay and Klarna are great at keeping track of the progress of your purchases and will send out reminders as it gets close to your next payment’s due date. It’s important to stay on track with your payments and ensure there is enough money included in your form of payment to avoid late fees. Both services do not consider your actual credit, however, the overall system works as if you are paying off credit. For new customers, there are limitations on how much you can spend. This amount can increase depending on important factors such as timeliness of payments, how long you have been an active customer using these services and managing the number of purchases/orders at one time. Generally, the key to raising your allotted amount of money to spend is to pay your payments on time and spend responsibly.

Take advantage of student discounts!

Believe it or not, there are many well-known brands out there that offer reasonable student discounts for their customers. Most of the time, this can be figured out by visiting a brand’s website where it is commonly mentioned on their homepage or during checkout. A very popular app that is dedicated to providing student discounts for brands and businesses is called Student Beans. Student Beans requires confirmation that one is considered eligible by registering with their student email belonging to the university that they are currently affiliated with. It involves stating the anticipated graduation month and year and re-verifying by logging into the student email with a guided link. Student Beans is the gateway to finding and obtaining discounts ranging anywhere from 10% to 50% off. Discount codes do expire after a given amount of time has passed, but no worries! You can always receive a new one after the expiration of the previous code has passed. Certain brands and businesses may also even offer incentives like awards or points. Student Beans is strongly recommended for those who have a budget and can especially manage easily and beneficially with the additional help of reduced costs, which saves an overall sum of money.

Visit secondhand shops & discover hidden gems.

Secondhand shops like Plato’s Closet and Buffalo Exchange are great places to explore what each location has to offer. These shops usually sell pre-worn brand clothing in appropriate condition and decent quality. The beauty of secondhand shops is that no two places sell the exact same clothing, because these stores operate through people who come in and willingly sell their own pieces and accessories. Secondhand shops provide an array of brands ranging from high-end to common ones seen in malls, outlets, stores and even online. Shopping at one has its benefits but depending on your own individualized taste in fashion and style, it can be a risk when it comes to seeking out a specific item of clothing. There’s always the chance that the product may not be available in the way you want it (size, color, etc.). Secondhand shops are suitable for those with minimal preference in clothing and fashion style who enjoy thrifting without the hassle of paying full price for the same products found elsewhere. My first time shopping at a secondhand shop was a lucky and fun experience because I purchased a Kendall & Kylie top for the discounted price of $10. It was definitely worth the purchase, so you never know what you may come across!

No matter what your style is, there are many ways to afford the products and looks that you desire. One method of shopping is not any better than the other and it’s all based purely on your personal preference. At the end of the day, you are saving money regardless of the things you like. Dressing comfortably and affordably in style is the new trend that everyone would love to be a part of, so why not join in on the fun as well?

Morgan is a Hospitality Management major with a minor in the French language. She is an international travel bug who loves to explore the world and experience different cultures. She is a history enthusiast at heart. Catch her anywhere from reading travel blogs, writing, watching historical dramas or docs to tanning at the beach, shopping till she drops, and eating out.